NAD! Fender Hotrod Deluxe

Bun-Bun

• Members

Nice amp! More than anything, if you want a lot of cleans on the normal channel, throw some 5751s in V1/V2 and a balanced 12AT7 in V3 and listen to the loud cleans! A V30 is great in this amp, I have V30 clones from WGS in my Deville.

:thu:

Yeah tube upgrade is in the works once I pay off my account at L&Q.

And the V30 is the biggest reason I jumped all over this. And it's an actual V30 not a clone :) Kinda surprised Fender did it but I am happy non the less.

• Members

Yep. Worked great and easy to do. Just watch the bias video on the Eurotubes website and re-bias for the 6V6's. Thing is, it's a subtle change both in tone and volume. Output wattage is dependent on a lot more than the tubes. If I had to guess I'd say this takes a HRD from the very loud 40 watts down to a very loud 25-ish watts. If you think about a Peavey Classic 30 being 30 watts and a HRD being rated at 40 watts, can you really tell the difference between 40 and 25? Maybe a little. Tone-wise I think a 6V6 is a better sounding tube than a 6L6. A little mid-ier with less of a scooped sound. Closer to a DRRI sound on the clean channel. A little less bass-y.

My old HRD has been in 6v6 mode for about 5 years now. I seriously do not notice any volume decrease. The amp is definitely darker and that sometimes creates a problem with the dirt boxes I like to use (basically MIAB-type pedals). I'll definitely be movin back to the 6L6s soon (just kinda want get back to the classic 6L6 sound....something different).

• Members

Ok so I am not sure why I never tried this amp at the store before but I just tried the Fender Deluxe VM yesterday. Has a very similar clean to the Hotrod Deluxe but the gain channel is soo much nicer.

So question is... should I exchange my Hotrod Deluxe for the Fender Deluxe VM? I find it kinda weird that it has only two preamp tubes... and I do like the brown and wheat of my HRD plus it did come with a Vintage 30...

Thought's? Exchange? or Keep HRD and get some mods done? I just found out my local L&Q hired a local amp builder and he apparently has done some nice mods to others amps...

• Members

i've got a MIA deville 4x10 from '98.. i swapped all the preamp tubes for at7s - made the verb more usable and brought the volume down a touch. if you really want to cut the volume put an au7 in v1 - which i used to do for gigs in this super tiny pub..

I tried JJ 6l6s, didn't like em, picked up rattle real fast too.. i use the TAD 6l6s, much nicer than the white label groovetubes that came w/ it..

i of course don't use the drive channel..

• Members

I'm not really looking to quieten down the amp.. I can get acceptable volumes out of it. The problem with the volume is that you so much as breathe on the volume knob and it goes from too quiet to unbearinly loud. It is far too sensitive.

And with the gain channel I find that on anything other then the bridge pickup the 5th and 6th strings are incredibly muddy and useless. I have listened to some vid's of modded hot rods and I like those vids but I have yet to find a A/B comparison.

I am generally happy with the clean channel. And I know some Tung-Sol's or TAD's would make it even better.

• Members

Changing the preamp tube helps that issue, but reduces the gain in that stage.. you get more power amp saturation though..

I've found that there are 2 answers to the gain channels, don't use em, or mod the amp.. I'm not too fond of the idea of modding mine, being an older usa one.

Meh, works for me.. I made all the tube changes years ago based on info off of the student.eku hot rod user site.. I'm sad to see it is gone..

• Members

Well I took my amp to my local L&Q and A/B'ed it with the Fender Deluxe VM and I have to say the Fender Deluxe is nice... but it sounds more like SS then full tube. It's not bad and I would think it would be a great gigging amp if you needed a lightweight amp with some built in effects and versatile distortion... but the Hot Rod is much more tasty.

I played it for an hour with a Godin Progression and for the first time I heard some amazing tones come out of that amp and out of my playing I have never heard before. I am thinking my guitars at home just dont work well with this amp (most are hot humbuckers). While playing I had many people come in and comment on how good it sounded along with my playing. Was pretty cool :)

They just hired a local amp builder (cant remember the name of his amps... but I know they are pretty popular) and I was talking to him about some of the mods. He said if I do a bit more research into them and show him more of what I am looking for that he will help me out with modding it so I think this is the route I am going to take.

So does anyone know what the omegaamps site does for mods (I couldn't find any details about there mods like the fromel one)?

Archived