suggest me some pickup upgrades

crispyguitarist

• Members

I want to throw some new passive pickups in my Schecter exotic. Mahogany body and set neck, maple cap, ebony fretboard.

I play progressive rock, metal, metalcore and some instrumental ambient stuff ala buckethead.

Suggestions?

Was looking at invader, evolution, tone zone, ???

Passives for this guitar.

• Members

any of the above? Or one of the GFS high-output buckers if you need it cheap.

I like my alnico 5 Agile humbuckers. YMMV.

This ^^^ Can't comment on the Agile 'buckers though, never owned any. I also might throw a Dimebucker on that list though it is a bit pricey...

• Members

I would say put a JB in it. It will do all those style of music great.
:thu:

but of course you could always buy the x2n that's in my sig. :poke:

I'd just say to be sure that you know what a JB actually sounds like and be certain that's what you want. I 'thought' that I would like it, but I absolutely hated it. No balls, midrange from hell and just real boring to be honest. I do think that it would do better in a mahogany body guitar (mine was in an alder Soloist) and it was just pure unmitigated crap.

• Members

Different strokes. Some people love the JB while others hate it. For instance, I love the JB in my Les Paul Studio: it sounds incredible when you're playing in a band situation but solo . . . not so much. The advantage with that pickup is that it comes standard in many guitars (including Schecters) so you can actually try it out in the store and see if you like it.

That said, you can't go wrong by getting in touch with Bryan Gunsher (aka Norcal_Gtr) of BG Pickups. His pickups can hang with anything the big boys offer, and he offers HCEG forumites a discount.

• Members

If you don't want to wait 8 weeks, the Best Buys with music departments in the Chicago area have been clearing out sets of the Seymour Duncan 59/JB combo for $99. If you live near a BB with a music dept., you may want to check that out.

• Members

If you don't want to wait 8 weeks, the Best Buys with music departments in the Chicago area have been clearing out sets of the Seymour Duncan 59/JB combo for $99. If you live near a BB with a music dept., you may want to check that out.

You can't go wrong with that setup and that price.

The JB is a great pickup for the gigging guitarist. Some bedroom players find it thin-sounding but it kills in a band mix.

Archived