Pimping my EJ strat

maltomario

• Members

I love my EJ strat but have never been fond of the color combo.. white pickguard w/ white blonde finish.. looks a little too vintagey for my tastes.

Thought about selling it but then I slapped myself back to reality because this is a great sounding / playing guitar.

so I ended up ordering a pickguard from warmoth.

I was debating on a few color options. for me the ones I liked best were black, mint and tortoise shell. I kinda liked the gold anodized too but warmoth doesnt carry them. keep in mind my EJ has maple neck so some combos that look good w/ rosewood don't look quite as good w/ maple.

some pics:

69_Stratocaster_NOS_White_Pearl_Mirror_G

Custom_Vintage_Stratocaster_Heavy_Relic_

products_1288_1250.jpg

img-4980.jpg

I ended up picking the tortoise shell. I loved the look of the mint w/ relic body/neck but I prefer to do my own natural relicing to my guitars and its not anywhere near that level of wear yet.

anyone w/ a white blonde strat w/ maple neck, please share pics of your pickguards color combos.

• Members

I'd'a gone for the gold ... but the tort still looks good.

yeah gold is hot too. but i couldnt find one w/ the same hole patterns (vintage 8-hole) . i dont want to drill any holes just for an aesthetic change.

black is growing on me too. damn decisions!

• Members

Is it a bright white or a vintage white? On MF - it calls it "White Blonde"

Personally, I don't like bright white with tortoise, but I do like it with a more "yellowed" vintage white finish.

My strat is bright white - so I went with a vintage parchment pickguard:

White-CustomS.jpg

• Moderators

yeah gold is hot too. but i couldnt find one w/ the same hole patterns (vintage 8-hole) . i dont want to drill any holes just for an aesthetic change.

black is growing on me too. damn decisions!

The 57 8-hole Gold anodized is a standard fit MM

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickguards_genuinefenderstrat57.htm

• Members

I had a white strat with the anodized gold guard for a long time, and let me tell you - it looked great. That's the one I'd go for, big time.

As for the holes, either drill 'em (you're not hurting your guitar's resale value with a couple of hidden holes under the guard) or get a custom made one. Either way, pretty easy.

• Members

i would go with "gold guard" if it were me. here's one i used to own; so hot.

goldguard57.jpg

i also like the mint guard, but mostly on rosewood boards.

That's a nice looking combo. I like the gold with the white trans (blonde) finish.

• Members

What happened to the stock pickups?

I seem to remember you got a killer deal on that ax... were you really thinking of selling it?

Oh yeah, I would have gone w/the black p/g, but that tort does look nice w/the body color.

• Members

What happened to the stock pickups?

I seem to remember you got a killer deal on that ax... were you really thinking of selling it?

Oh yeah, I would have gone w/the black p/g, but that tort does look nice w/the body color.

still 100% stock. only changing the pickguard. and yeah I got one heck of a deal on it. :thu:

thought about having it repainted but i dig the thin factory finish.

Archived