NGD!

GreatDane

• Members

hey y'all. i won this off of eBay last weekend and it arrived on Wednesday (one day early!). it's a very well-worn, well-played 1989 Gibson Les Paul Special DC Junior in weather-checked tobacco burst finish. i've been on the lookout for one of these rare guitars ever since i saw pics of a fellow HCEG forumite posted pics of his (can't remember his name, and i don't think he hung around after HC v2.0, but i think he's in ireland).

as you can see, this is no museum piece. it has been gigged a lot and seen some serious action. everything is stock except for the bridge (seller thought Schaller, but I am not positive) and the straplocks. it's had a strap button moved to the upper horn and the original hole is unfilled. there is a ton of nitro checking throughout, which i actually find somewhat appealing. there's a section about an inch and a half long up by where the forearm would rest over the body of the guitar that is worn completely to the mahogany. all the important aspects IMO are there; frets in great shape, no structural damage, no neck or headstock cracks, no reset neck. the fretboard is a flatter radius than i'm used to seeing on a Gibson, but it's only slight and doesn't impact my playing at all. i haven't had a chance to clean her up, change the strings or oil the fretboard, so what you're seeing is how she arrived.

i have had a few hours of playing time with her though and can say that the tone is amazing. there's a lot that can be done with a single pickup once i start working the tone control. and even with the tone on '10' she still sounds nice and sweet with a little bite to cut through. i usually prefer my guitars to arrive to me as prom queens, but with the way this one sounds and plays i ain't complainin'.

enough words; here's pics.

w89_LPSpecialJunior-001.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-003.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-004.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-005.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-006.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-015.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-016.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-018.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-020.jpg

w89_LPSpecialJunior-021.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hella tight!

and the wear and finish checking is a plus in my book.

if its good enough to play so much to get wear, than its a good instrument.

my thoughts exactly. this is the first time i've bought a guitar in this condition without being able to play it first, but i couldn't resist given how long i've been GAS'ing for one. the P90 cover is even worn from some serious strumming. the only other time i've seen that is on one of metalheadUK's guitars. this guitar wasn't pampered, but it was enjoyed and i know why now that i've been playing it.

• Members

Cool old guitar. Where's the thread about that other guitar you are having all fixed up ? Is it finished yet ?

thank you! the thread with meandi restoring my LP deluxe is in my signature. it's not finished yet, but meandi mentioned getting to some updated pics and activity by mid-week next week. i won't rush him. he's gotta work at the speed that works for him. that's the only way it's going to be a great end-result. i have no reason to question him. if i felt he was untrustworthy or lacked integrity, then i'd have either not comissioned him for the gig or had it promptly returned to me.

• Members

very nice, i'd love a guitar that has genuine history to it, and that looks like it could tell a story or two. It's not beat up, but well worn in all the right areas. It looks like a real workhorse that would become a best friend, much like a dog does. :thu:

• Members

very nice, i'd love a guitar that has genuine history to it, and that looks like it could tell a story or two. It's not beat up, but well worn in all the right areas. It looks like a real workhorse that would become a best friend, much like a dog does.
:thu:

i have a few guitars that are my history (if that makes sense). this is someone else's, but it is suiting me just fine. if i should start playing in a band again, this would probably be one of the two guitars i play the most. it's got that sound i enjoy. nice big, raunchy Social Distortion tones. love it.

• Members

Excellent photos of a beautiful guitar. well done good sir.

The checking - is that natural or is this a relic'd guitar? I ask because none of my nitro-finished instruments have started checking even though some are pushing 6yrs old at this point. I wonder if the checking occurs to that extent even if the guitars are kept within reasonable climates?

• Members

Excellent photos of a beautiful guitar. well done good sir.

The checking - is that natural or is this a relic'd guitar? I ask because none of my nitro-finished instruments have started checking even though some are pushing 6yrs old at this point. I wonder if the checking occurs to that extent even if the guitars are kept within reasonable climates?

thank you, Mario! i just took the guitar in, so can't speak definitively to the authenticity of the nitro checking, but based on my experiences it looks totally legit. this guitar has no doubt seen a lot of action in that past 21 years. i can picture the prior owner leaving it in a car overnight a few times during the winter, bringing it into a hot venue or practice space right out of the car, and then... temperature extremes are a decent way to crack the nitro (not nearly as impactful on poly). if it's a "fake" relic job, then it is very authentic looking.

• Members

Very nice GD! I miss that 65 MM DC I gave back to my bud with HB's. I want a white Joan Jett model now
:eek:

i recently sold my '65 Melody Maker to a guy in NYC. the guitar was stock, and sounded great. i can only imagine what it would have sounded like with a P90 or humbucker in place of the single coil...

Archived