Need a Gibson Les Paul Standard headstock template

Brother_Budro

• Members

I could trace (not to sound arrogant) one of mine for you and scan it if you'd like, or i couldtake a picture with a 90 degree ruler around it and just print it to accurate sizing and trace yourself... just pm me with your email address.

• Members

Copying it to sell would be counterfeiting. This guy just wants a traditional headstock.

Nope. A trademark violation doesn't need 'intent'. I have a 'counterfeit' guitar at home, I built it, and won't ever sell it. I doubt anyone will ever hassle me, but that doesn't chage the fact that it is a trademark violation.

• Members

Does that mean if someone draws a picture of Mickey Mouse they are breaking the law?

I would just do it, just because it is illegal technically speaking doesnt mean anyones gonna actually do anything to you i.e the police.

And i don't think anyone here is gonna be so outraged that they think anyless of you for it.

• Members

Shoot, you can buy complete 1:1 blueprints for a Les Paul on Ebay. :freak:

I think where people really start getting into trouble is when they put Gibson on the headstock and serial numbers on the back. I doubt using the shape alone will cause problems unless you are seriously trying to make a Givsun.

EG

• Members

that first pic looks too long?

Correct but hes got a GFS kit, he only needs to reshape the top half of the headstock.

like this

1251344592.jpg

As well, some people fill the tuner holes with dowels and re-drill to align them like that real thang.

• Members

Here is what the GFS kit will look like if you modify the current flat top headstock and do not relocate tuners or add wings. It looks pretty authentic next to my Gibsons, but not perfect. Corkstiffers will know, but most will not. This photo does have some illusions to it (the bottom is more narrow then the top). I just trace the outline of my standard, used it to shape the top and referenced it to get the side shape. You will never get the excat shapre unless your trim the sides and add new wings and the tuners will need to be filled and drilled.

IMG00051-20100524-0641.jpg

• Members

Here is a picture of my GFS next to a 2008 Standard. The GFS kit I built ended up being a very good playing guitar and with the SD alnico II's it sound very good. I really love it. Good luck.

And if Gibson wants to shut my production of copies down from 1 to zero and sue me for any gain or loss that I or they will realize form this, OK. I think the line is pretty much drawn at advertised sale.

Be warned my next build will be a 1960 Custom with Gibson MOP inlays.

HPIM0975.jpg

• Members

It kills me how everyone thinks it's "breaking the law!"

When it isn't really, not in the sense that people seem to think.

It's really about a violation of intellectual property rights and the ability of the copyright/trademark HOLDER to pursue adequate remedy through legal action AT THEIR DISCRETION.

• Members

Here is what the GFS kit will look like if you modify the current flat top headstock and do not relocate tuners or add wings. It looks pretty authentic next to my Gibsons, but not perfect. Corkstiffers will know, but most will not. This photo does have some illusions to it (the bottom is more narrow then the top). I just trace the outline of my standard, used it to shape the top and referenced it to get the side shape. You will never get the excat shapre unless your trim the sides and add new wings and the tuners will need to be filled and drilled.

IMG00051-20100524-0641.jpg

This is all i was going for

I know that it's not going to be exact but i was just looking for something to make it look more like a traditional design. I am not going to redrill holes or add wings

Archived