anyone know this ebay seller?

vintage clubber

• Members

I e-mailed last weekend asking if the pickup was alnico and the dc resistance. He had it priced at $15 buy it now with $6.50 shipping. I simply asked if he would come off of shipping price a little bit as it probably wouldn't run more than $3.00 to mail that pickup.

Now he has raised the price to $32 with free shipping...:facepalm:

Check out his tirade....:freak:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-P-90-Black-Single-Coil-Pickup-dog-ear-/120588441821?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c13a198dd

• Members

The guy is definitely an idiot, and I would not purchase anything from him.

Conversely, though it was not deserving of an incoherent rant, your asking him to reduce shipping price is "lowball-ish," and I, too, would be offended if I were asked to reduce the price by--what?--a dollar? And I believe that you would feel the same if you were selling one of your beautifully wired pickguards, and someone asked for you to take $1.50 off the postage.

Sending things, as you know, is much more than just the postage, and you, as a businessman, know this. It's packaging, taking things to the post office, insurance or Delivery Confirmation, et cetera. Additionally, when the item, is so inexpensive/fairly priced, if a seller wants to make a dollar or two that won't be skimmed by eBay, I say, they have the right to do so.

• Members

From his tone he sounds like a frequent poster on the Chgo CL that has running insult wars in the Musical Instrument section. Location matches pretty well too.

As far as shipping cost, I sometimes do a little CYA with shipping. Sometimes a buyer is in a location that is expensive to ship to. I also don't mind covering a little of eBay's exhorbitant fees in the shipping cost.

Bottom line; if the price + shipping is very good (like it was) grab the deal rather than try to negotiate for a little better. Nothing wrong with being cheap. Just don't be greedy too.

• Members

The guy is definitely an idiot, and I would not purchase anything from him.

Conversely, though it was not deserving of an incoherent rant, your asking him to reduce shipping price is "lowball-ish," and I, too, would be offended if I were asked to reduce the price by--what?--a dollar? And I believe that you would feel the same if you were selling one of your beautifully wired pickguards, and someone asked for you to take $1.50 off the postage.

Sending things, as you know, is much more than just the postage, and you, as a businessman, know this. It's packaging, taking things to the post office, insurance or Delivery Confirmation, et cetera. Additionally, when the item, is so inexpensive/fairly priced, if a seller wants to make a dollar or two that won't be skimmed by eBay, I say, they have the right to do so.

I charge actual shipping on my pickguard assemblies and I would never charge more than $5.00 to ship a single pickup within the continental U.S.

• Members

From his tone he sounds like a frequent poster on the Chgo CL that has running insult wars in the Musical Instrument section. Location matches pretty well too.

It's Bob!

Meanwhile, the ebayer is charging just about Guitarfetish new prices for his used epi pup.

• Members

It is not "lowballish" to ask someone to come down on shipping if their shipping quote is ridiculous, such as twice what it should be almost 50% of the selling price.

If you want to pad your margins, do it in the selling price. That's the whole {censored}ing point of the selling price. Trying to squeeze extra out of shipping is strictly a dirtbag tactic IMO. Leave that stuff to Esteban and Sham-Wow.

More than doubling your asking price and oh-by-the-way throwing in "free" shipping in response to a question is also a pretty clear sign of a dirtbag.

• Members

More than one
et cetera
would actually be superfluous, for
et cetera
implies "and so forth and so on."

By the way, at the danger of being pedantic, the abrreviation is
etc
., not
ect

That sound you heard was the sound a joke wooshing right over your head, smart guy.

• Members

My take....I use the free boxes provided by the post office for priority mail shipping. Therefor, my shipping charges are set at their rates for priority mail and it's too damn bad if you think that's high. I simply do not have the time to spend rounding up boxes for a bunch of stuff I need to ship, especially when I can just go to usps.com and order online for nothing, and they bring them to my door.

• Members

It is not "lowballish" to ask someone to come down on shipping if their shipping quote is ridiculous, such as twice what it should be almost 50% of the selling price.

If you want to pad your margins, do it in the selling price. That's the whole {censored}ing point of the selling price. Trying to squeeze extra out of shipping is strictly a dirtbag tactic IMO. Leave that stuff to Esteban and Sham-Wow.

More than doubling your asking price and oh-by-the-way throwing in "free" shipping in response to a question is also a pretty clear sign of a dirtbag.

Only if it's a bait and switch. Like the item I just bought as "free shipping". Once I got to check out, after I hit "Buy iy Now" it said. Free shipping is Parcel Post 14 business days. Expedited shipping, USPS 1st class was an extra charge.

Really though, any intelligent buyer should be looking at total delivered cost. Ebay charges like 9% on "Selling Price" and 0% on "Shipping". Would I care if I bought a $200 item for $1 + $199 for shipping? Absolutely not. If the seller got more of the money instead of Ebay I'd be happy about it.

• Members

Really though, any intelligent buyer should be looking at total delivered cost. Ebay charges like 9% on "Selling Price" and 0% on "Shipping". Would I care if I bought a $200 item for $1 + $199 for shipping? Absolutely not. If the seller got more of the money instead of Ebay I'd be happy about it.

+1

• Members

If he's shipping flat rate USPS it's $8 for the small box.

I just sold like 10 pedals last month so I went through all this recently. If you pack them individually and weigh them and stuff it is little bit cheaper, but I never got under $7 with insurance included.

• Members

More than one
et cetera
would actually be superfluous, for
et cetera
implies "and so forth and so on."

By the way, at the danger of being pedantic, the abrreviation is
etc
., not
ect

Wins to you for your excellent grammar and vocabulary, good sir. :thu:

• Members

How is it that every other thread becomes a grammar or proper English lesson..

Does it really matter all that much ? If you can understand what a poster is trying to say why bother correcting them for some minor flaw in spelling or sentence structure ?

Or is it just a way for some to prove there superior intellect?

I could understand if this was a forum on literature or modern writing skills.

It is a guitar forum so i think everyday simple communication skills should be enough to get a point across..

• Members

How is it that every other thread becomes a grammar or proper English lesson..

Does it really matter all that much ? If you can understand what a poster is trying to say why bother correcting them for some minor flaw in spelling or sentence structure ?

Or is it just a way for some to prove there superior intellect?

I could understand if this was a forum on literature or modern writing skills.

It is a guitar forum so i think everyday simple communication skills should be enough to get a point across..

Your ellipsis should really have one more period.

:p

• Members

it's sort of a sad day when something as remedial as basic spelling and grammar is considered an unnecessary burden.

(yes, i'm well aware i do not use proper capitalization. neither did, for instance, e.e. cummings or hubert selby, jr. so that makes it ok.)

Archived