Blast Furnace reignition after thirty-plus years ... and my birthday! (clippage)

csm

• Members

Still recovering from getting together with my old band Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves to play our first gig since 1979 ... on my 59th birthday, yet! Old rivalries and squabbles were comprehensively buried, and we rocked like beasts (though i say so myself!). The old firm of guitarist Andy Eastwood (aka Blitz Krieg), bassist Kevin Allen (aka Dee Bass, who organised and hosted the event), drummer Nigel Elliott (aka Tom Tom), harpmeister Skid Stuart (as himself) and me on vox n gtr as Furnace reconvened in the seaside resort of Scarborough (as in 'Scarborough Fair' and 'Postcards From Scarborough) to play together for the first time since we were all snotty young punks in our 20's (as opposed to semi-respectable old geezers in our 50's).

Your friend and mine Marc 'The Exorcist' Jefferies (aka metalheadUK) came along for the ride and the view, accompanied as ever by his lovely Jan, to mix our live sound, keep our guitars healthy and add his own inimitable brand of good cheer to the event. If anybody DIDN'T have a good time, they kept that information to themselves.

Singing full-on rock and roll (as opposed to laidback blues) totally did my elderly vocal cords in and I can still barely talk ... but here's the first clip to surface ... encoring on our almost-a-hit-but-not-quite single South Of The River. More documentation will surface as soon as the various pix n clips have been sorted. (Gear note: I'm using my same old Strat and Super Reverb; Blitzy's playing my JD Tele through his own multi-FX and a borrowed Line 6 combo.)

[YOUTUBE]l6oACiNSJzY[/YOUTUBE]

Croaky but happy ...

• Members

Still tight after 3 decades.
:thu:

Well, after nine hours of rehearsal spread over two days, and rather more hours of reminisiscing over a few wets, a laugh and a joke and even the odd oily ...

Thankee-sai! We hope we passed the audition!

Incidentally, there were an awful lot of (possibly just curious) Young Folks there, and it was a massive treat to be part of something that induces Serious Rockin' amonst peeps less than a third my age ...

• Members

Aaaaaaaand another clip surfaces ... this is an original composition called Delacourt Mews ... about a fictional place in West London inhabited by a few real people we knew ... whose names were changed in the song to protect the band.

[YOUTUBE]7-OYDoDYa_0[/YOUTUBE]

This time the guilty guitar is my old 'IKEA' Ibanez Destroyer ... Bo Diddleyed up with a healthy dollop of 'VIB' from the Super Reverb.

• Members

PS What's that single pup LP with f holes behind Blitz Krieg?

It's THIS ... 'The Hellhound', a heavily-modded Epi Jr with an engraved metal front and a BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen HB-sized P90. I loaned it to Blitzy (because it would've cost too much to ship his own guitars all the way from Australia and back), so he could use it for slide.

• Members

27th June 1951, 4pm (or thereabouts), London.

Wanna do my chart?

No just wondering if it was actually today.

Cause today I turn 54. 6/29/56

playing my 1956 Custom Shop Les Paul Goldtop (bought in 2006. Incredible serial number too. 6050)

my 1956 2 Tone Custom Shop Strat (glad to see you playing one at the reunion! not the exact same but it's nice to see you playing a strat)

my 1956 reissue Powder Blue Danelectro.

It's all about '56 today.

Happy Birthday to both of us.

Anyone else out there wanna join the end of June celebration?

• Members

Nice work, there! And looks like a fun gig.

Old rivalries and squabbles were comprehensively buried,

That's funny. I haven't quite reached that comfortable distance, yet, with some of my old bandmates. We could get together, now, after twenty years and I can imagine a few of the old Behind The Music moments bubbling up.

• Members

Maybe it means that (comparative) maturity can even come to US in the end ... we seriously got in touch both with what drove our music, and the reason we were all friends in the first place. Yay.

Archived