EVH Wolfgang Special, y'all seen this?

jds22

• Members

I'll check it out but I was so disappointed with the USA version I don't think I'll be buying one.

Still love my Peavey's

Interested to hear your thoughts on this. I own a peavey wolfgang, and have a fender EVH wolfgang en route. Can you elaborate on your dissapointments?

I love my peavey but I also understand they are both different guitars, and made to different price points so I don't expect them to be too similar beyond basic shape.

• Members

It will be as good as the US made one.

If they assemble them in Japan using American parts that will be a winner. As in, same pickups, pots, all of those little things they sold us on with the expensive one. Personally I could care less about a carved top.

• Members

If they assemble them in Japan using American parts that will be a winner. As in, same pickups, pots, all of those little things they sold us on with the expensive one. Personally I could care less about a carved top.

According to a spec pdf I saw, I think you are correct. Same hardware, just assembled in Japan.

• Members

Looks interesting.

The specs on a few pages say it uses the same pickups and FR as the US spec model. Looks like it has stainless frets too.

here are the specs for EVH...

Color

(86) Black XXX(85) Vintage White XXX(90) Tobacco Burst

BODY

Basswood core with Maple veneer top

NECK

Quartersawn Maple

FINGERBOARD

AA Birdseye Maple, 12

• Members

from what I understand, the difference (according to specs i've read) are:

USA has 1/2" maple cap vs veneer (big difference tone wise), 5ply binding vs 1ply (aesthetics). I think i've read somewhere that the basswood slab is thicker on the USA, but I can't verify that. Also not sure if they have the same paint (magna coatings thin skin) - i would suspect not at that price point.

I'd be impressed if they used the same exact neck/hardware as the USA. The peavey wolfgang specials had different necks altogether, and you had to cough up the big bucks to get into the birdseye neck and the tone pot.

When my EVH comes in (bought the USA one, not the special) I'll try to take a bunch of photos and write an unbiased review it and we can compare it to someones new EVH wolfgang special.

the special @ $1299 its a lot of guitar for the money! They should have released it in different colors though - to give extra incentive to those who are sitting on the fence.

For those of you wondering why the USA is so much expensive - I have heard these are built in custom shop (using top notch woods, built by the same people) as the charvel and jackson custom shop. They're not building too many of these per month so its a supply/demand thing.

Archived