NGD!! Not quite a guitar but damn fun! late 60's Univox Compac piano

crowguitar

• Members

If it's a synth it's definitely from the '70s or later; judging by the cosmetics I'd say it's turn-of-the-'80s. Some of that stuff is the awesomest.

What kind of polyphony does it have?

evidently you don't know much about the evolution of synths.

the first synths were initially created back in the late 1800's, and Hammond even put out the Novachord back in the 1930's, but it was crap then.

The first Moog on record was on a Monkees album in 1967... so try again noob

• Members

the first synths were initially created back in the late 1800's, and Hammond even put out the Novachord back in the 1930's, but it was crap then.

Wasn't the glass harp created by Ben Franklin in the 1700's? I mean, if you really want to get technical...:poke:

• Members

It depends on what you call an electronic synthesizer. The combo organs of the '60s fall into that category, I suppose, since they did use electronic oscillators to generate sound instead of electromechanical methods. A Moog or an ARP has vastly more sophisticated tone-shaping circuitry, however.

The aesthetics look much later than 1970, that's all. I yield to others' superior knowledge of the chronology.

• Members

well if you really wanna get technical, even the pulse tone phones were a synthesizer of sorts.

The Hammond organ/B3 is an additive synthesizer...so you're talking pretty far back now... 1930's

as for the aesthetics of this keyboard.. in person u can see the age, but it was kept in great condition by the original owner who had it for about 30 + years before I just got it.

if this thing was newer, i'd hope it would have a lot more features/options than 2 piano tones and a filter..lol

• Members

its electronic. Its basically a synth (early Korg) so it seems to occasionally go out of tune like the old ARP's or moogs, but its got a cool sound to it.

Goes great w/ pedals too.

would love to hear it.

i had an old mini-korg that kicked all kinds of ass. stayed in tune very well, as did my oberheims - as long as i didnt' move them around much.

• Members

Has some rare parts in there, iirc. Looks like one I was working on that was missing a couple of notes. Couldn't have fixed it without re-engineering to replace the unobtainables.

hey any idea how to fix notes on these things? seems the "F"'s are flat almost to an E. weird. not all but 3 of the higher register ones seem to pull down.

• Members

If it's a CP110 then I have schematics for it. The divider chip is the special one, and each section of it can go bad. Hopefully that's not the case. Maybe the power supply is just a little weak or the keyswitches are dirty.

• Members

If it's a CP110 then I have schematics for it. The divider chip is the special one, and each section of it can go bad. Hopefully that's not the case. Maybe the power supply is just a little weak or the keyswitches are dirty.

power supply is good. its just a 3 prong plug like most computer cables (except I had to use a ground lift 2 prong adapter, cuz they didnt have the full 3 prongs back in the day.) Checked the transformer, all good. Havent gotten to the switches/contacts yet tho. thats next when I get some more time to fiddle around. Have tons of session and rehearsals this week so very little time.

its the cp-112. italian made compac.

• Members

The Novachord was actually a really nice instrument.

• Members

The Novachord was actually a really nice instrument.

it sounded pretty good, but they usually had major reliability issues. They fixed and improved upon the initial designs when they made the Hammond organs tho.

plus they opted to not use the 169 tubes in the organs like they did in the Novachord. seriously...tons of tubes...

• Members

so I finally set the whole Univox up and decided to throw

together a little GORM action for it.

Got some pretty killer sounds, and wrote a full tune on

this thing once the inspiration hit.

Still have to work any ideas around the fact that a

F and E are almost the same note and there's a

dead C# right in the center,

but... here's the board I made for it tho.

Will post some clips soon as I get a chance to finish and mix it.

img246.jpg

Archived