Strat or PRS CE or Les Paul?

swanusa

• Members

I am looking for a nice all purpose guitar with good sustain, resonance and excellent intonation for Rock/Jazz/Metal etc. Price range = up to $1700. I am ready to spend time and upgrade with better pick ups, locking tuners, set up etc but my final budget is 1700 including all costs. (By the way, I don't have to spend 1700 if I don't need to. :-)) I already have good pedals like OCD, Ethos, Hoo chee mama and a Mesa F-100 amp.

• Members

for sustain i would go with a 2 hb kinda deal and something the scale of a LP.. i love my strat kinda guitars.. but the 2hb lp kinda guitars just seem to play them selfs compared to the strat.. it may be the neck angle that makes it so effortless but im not sure but there is something going on..

• Members

Before you go jumping on the PRS bandwagon, you need to play them. These are very different guitars with very different necks. I have had both. The LP and the PRS are closer, but to me, the PRS has the chunkiest neck of all three. The strat neck is much smaller. The radius measurements are also very different for the three. You can get the sounds you want from any of the three, but you can't make your hand fit a neck that it doesn't like.

• Members

Rock or jazz, Les Paul is probably better

Metal, the PRS if a trem is important to you.

I'm not a big fan of Strats for harder rock sounds.

Given the limited information you've provided, I'd get a Les Paul.

I'm going to throw out another suggestion just for grins. A Schecter C-1 Custom FR. I have a Les Paul Traditional Plus, and an American Deluxe Strat, and I've owned PRS guitars including a CE and a McCarty, and the Schecter holds its own with any of them. When I gig I usually take the Schecter and the Les Paul and play two sets on the Schecter and one on the LP. It comes in at about half your budget. Mahogany body with maple cap, real Duncan pickups and Original Floyd Rose. Action and frets are as good as you'll find anywhere.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C1-FR-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=423900

• Members

If your gonna use a F series, you may consider a good strat IMHO.

In general, PRS's (US models) are some of the best guitars you can buy. You also won't have to spring for locking tuners or better pups, good ones come standard. They're very consistent in build quality and sound too. To me, the necks are between a LP & a strat in "chunkiness", closer to a strat unless you spring for a McCarty (a tad fatter but still killer). However, the pups may be a little on the low end side for your amp.

LP's are great but your gonna have to play alot of them to find one you like. They don't make them like they used to unless you spend 3k. Your probably gonna have to change the pups, maybe not, its up to you.

Strats are good all-around guitars, very versatile, especially if you get a H/S/S configuration. But again, your gonna have to change the pups but at least you can get what you want. The locking tuners work OK, not the best, it depends how your gonna use it. The versatility of the pups should work very well with the F-series.

For $1700, you can get a {censored}ing good strat. Your gonna have to find a good used one with the other 2, they're not cheap, you may get lucky and find an exceptional used one for that price.

Of course this is my opinion, go with your gut and good luck!

Archived