Advice on refinishing a factory 2nd...

Alden97

• Members

I friend that plays jazz guitar professionally helped me pick this out back in '00. I was fairly new to the guitar back then, and would have probably overlooked it if it wasn't for him. It seemed to be a pretty good deal.

Apparently the head was snapped off on the way over from Korea, so Hamer fixed it here. The black shows where they sprayed over the repair with paint.

I'd like to remove the rough spray paint on the neck. So here are my questions.

Will I risk damage over time to the neck if I sand off the finish on the whole neck and leave it unfinished? (I have an old Yamaha acoustic w/ no finish and I like the way it feels, but it was warped when it was given to me). Or am I better off just sanding off the damaged area and refinishing that?

Any insight would be appreciated. I really dig this guitar and don't want to mess it up.

Sorry if its wordy. I don't post very often.

• Members

The finish is probably Polyurethane or Polyester if it's a Korean guitar.

This means that if you sand down and re-finish one area of the neck, the finish won't blend with the old finish, but will form a discrete layer.

If you're going to re-finish it, I'd recommend sanding the whole back of the neck and refinishing it rather than just one area.

As far as having an unfinished neck goes, it will get fairly grubby, and as you say, could make the guitar more susceptible to changes in humidity.

I'd recommend at least giving it an oil finish after you sand it down (something like gun stock oil).

• Members

Other than the orange peel in the pic I see no reason to sand it down and try to do anything with it.

It's got personality - reliec'd from the factory.

I'd clean up the orange peel only if it's bothering you to play otherwise if it bugs you get rid of it and get another guitar. those are all over the place.

Buy an Agile AD3000 and you get the same type of guitar but with a ebony neck for less

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. Seeing it hasn't bothered me that much, I think I'll probably leave it as it is.

Buy an Agile AD3000 and you get the same type of guitar but with a ebony neck for less

That's interesting, this is the third time I have read good things about Agile guitars this week, and I hadn't really heard of them before. I will definitely have to check them out.

Archived