Anyone know of any cheaper options than this? (Weber headphone tap content)

NHLfan2010

• Members

It's $80.

How much are you looking to spend for a 50W dummy load with headphone and line out in a solid metal box?

DIY you could probably save yourself $10 or so, but the real appeal of DIY is the DIY aspect itself. You aren't getting the economies of scale.

Looking over your gear list, I'm not even sure why you want one.

You could spend the $$$ on a used Pandora or something.

• Members

It's got a lline out jack. I'd ask around to see if it mutes the output (probably not), but if that's the case you could build a cheap 8ohm attenuator and use the line output into anything that has a line input to drive a set of headphones.

• Members

It's got a lline out jack. I'd ask around to see if it mutes the output (probably not), but if that's the case you could build a cheap 8ohm attenuator and use the line output into anything that has a line input to drive a set of headphones.

Well I would assume by the picture on the front of it (the speaker crossed through) that it would mute the speaker. But you're saying that I could go strait from a regular attenuator to my headphones?

• Members

I can't find anything, anywhere, including the manual and reading the schematic, that would indicate the SCXD's Line Out mutes the speaker output. As long as the power amp is working it MUST see a load and nothing in the schematic shows the power amp and load getting switched off.

So, you still need an attenuator for the power amp if you want to reply on the line out into a stereo or something to run headphones.

And you just run any attenuator straight into headphones , at least not reliably.

The Weber is very affordable. I doubt you could build any DIY option for less. But even the Weber may sound like ass into headphones. When you lose the speaker tone, you lose a lot of what voices an amp. That's why amp simulators and better direct out boxes such use speaker simulation.

IMHO, he correct answer is "you can't get there from here," I highly doubt you are going to satisfactory tame a 15-watt amp to headphone levels and be satisfied. Something like that requires a LOT of compromise.

For headphone playing I would suggest looking into a dedicated modeler with speaker simulation to compliment the SCXD.

• Members

Well I would assume by the picture on the front of it (the speaker crossed through) that it would mute the speaker. But you're saying that I could go strait from a regular attenuator to my headphones?

NO! Don't do that; what I meant is that in order to maintain a load on the amp you could use an attenuator to turn the level down going to the speaker and use the line out to go to a something that will drive the headphones. An attenuator would still overdrive the headphones plus you would have a major impedance mismatch (8 ohms going to something anywhere from 50 to several hundred ohms depending on the headphones).

I agree with Wyatt though, a simple modeller would be the best bet. I am sure you could score something from e-Bay for next to nothing.

Archived