Guitar Amp Rattle

Musicalfish

• Members

Have any of you ever had a great amp whose tone is tarnished by mechanical rattle? I have tightened everything inside my Vibro Champ and nothing seems to help. There is one baffle screw that is tight but won't turn in either direction, another transformer screw the same way, one transformer screw I can't get to, and I have tried removing the preamp tube covers. Does anyone have some helpful tips to eliminate this tone terrorizer?

• Members

Have any of you ever had a great amp whose tone is tarnished by mechanical rattle?

Yes, and it's maddening. Lots of variables, and it's hard to isolate the sound. Do things one at a time. Tube covers and the like are often culprits. Sometimes the tubes themselves rattle, too, but usually not very loudly.

Check the handle, the feet, jewel light, fuse cover, grill cloth logo, everything.

EDIT: On a combo amp, trying a different cab might not tell you anything, since the vibration of your speaker is probably causing something else to rattle, rather than the speaker itself.

• Members

Have you checked to see if it's a tube?

Place a pencil against the tube when the rattle normally happens, you can do each tube this way.

I had to use a folded up piece of paper and wedge it between the front baffle and the amp chassis on my SCXD to kill a rattle.

• Members

How can you tighten the speaker screws? On mine the ends without the heads are only accessible? I was able to tighten the grill cloth logo, handle, jewel light, and speaker nuts, but will not know until morning whether it was fixed. The family has gone to bed and I don't want to power up the amp and wake them up. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to tighten the feet. COuld it be possible that the speaker is blown?

• Members

Rattle that is heard through the speaker or just ambient noise coming form the amp, cab, but not part of the amplified sound.

Former could be a lot of things.

-Could be speaker resonance.

-Could be cabinet resonance.

-Could be a tube that just can't handle being in a combo.

Latter would definitely be a mechanical issue with two pieces that need to be isolated.

• Members

Could be a tube, rattling on the inside. With the amp warmed up, tap each tube with a pencil. The bad one will reproduce the noise - the good ones won't. Replace the bad tube.

That tests for microphonics. Microphonic tubes will squeal like hell when tapped because their oscillation gets amplified down the line.

But rattles are rarely microphonic tubes, other-wise their rattle would blow into full-blown feedback when turned up.

• Members

Did you tighten the screws outside the amp?

I had the same thing with my Vox AD50VT and it drove me nuts. I tightened everything inside and I even replaced the stock speaker to an Eminance thinking the speaker was blown.

It turned out to be the loose screws holding the amplifier in the cabinet. The amplifier was rattling when the volume was turned up.

• Members

Would you recommend ceramic over alnico?

If giving the choice between both versions of the same speaker, for instance the Webers, then for a Champ I prefer using the ceramic, compared to the AliNiCo version, they tighten up the low end and keep it punchy and they generally are a little more efficient (louder), both of which help with a Champ.

I think the favorites are the

Weber alnico or ceramic Signature 8S

Weber 8A125 (alnico) or 8F125 (ceramic)

Jensen P8R

Weber makes a relatively new 8" version of their Blue Pup for almost as cheap as their Signature series, but I haven't heard much about it, I would suspect it would be nice.

My favorite Champ speaker is an Eminence that was for years and years and years one of very few options for a Champ, but it's been discontinued for a while now.

• Members

My Twin Reverb amp rattled a ton. Sold it to get a boutique head/cab setup. Still rattles. Only solution is to put the head on the ground next to the cab. Dumb. In the head, sometimes the tubes rattle, but it sounds like it's coming from where a transformer is.

• Members

I like Alnico speakers in small amps like the Champ or Princeton. They sound much warmer but they don't handle the bass as well as the Ceramic ones.

One think about the Champ - it requires a 4ohm speaker. (3.2 to be precise)

Archived