Smoothing/Filing down Frets?

NinjaModder

• Members

I recently obtained an old 60s Teisco and I love the thing to death. The only problem is that on the 3rd fret there is a few nicks and scratches on it that cause the string the get caught when I bend. I can deal with it but I was wondering if there was a way to fix this without doing a refret. To me a refret wouldn't be worth it as of now. I would rather just deal with it. But is there a way for me to fix this by filing or smoothing down the fret?

• Members

If you have enough height left on the frets they could be dressed and re-crowned. This would involve Filling all the frets down to the same height and then rounding them off with a fret file then polished. At least a $100 job. I don't know it's been a while since I've had it done. Or you could try it your self.

• Members

Two ideas I have heard can be successful, but I have not tried:

1. JB Weld epoxy in the bad spot, sand smooth. Some say to add some fine fret powder to the mix.

2. Solder the bad spot, shape with small file and sand.

Neither would last forever, but if you had to renew it after 100 hours of play, it is no big deal.

I had the same problem with my 1970s Ibanez LP. I used a fret file, a fret reshaper and a Ginex kit to refinish the frets. Came out great. In my case, the frets were always a bit taller than I like. I play with a death grip, and was usually out-of-tune.

oldMattB

• Members

Two ideas I have heard can be successful, but I have not tried:

1. JB Weld epoxy in the bad spot, sand smooth. Some say to add some fine fret powder to the mix.

2. Solder the bad spot, shape with small file and sand.

Neither would last forever, but if you had to renew it after 100 hours of play, it is no big deal.

I had the same problem with my 1970s Ibanez LP. I used a fret file, a fret reshaper and a Ginex kit to refinish the frets. Came out great. In my case, the frets were always a bit taller than I like. I play with a death grip, and was usually out-of-tune.

oldMattB

i tried the solder idea before. it works but didn't last long. the solder wears down quickly.

havent tried the JB weld. might try it sometime.

• Members

You would be surprised at just how much fret is actually there that can be leveled and still be good. If it hasn't been done before I would almost guarantee that a good level and crown job on the whole fretboard would be fine. I had a strat that I swear needed new frets; I had divots the size of craters. I did a level and crown and they've got more than enough height left.

The JB weld or solder idea sounds pretty much like a waste of time to be hoenst. I'd just replace the few frets if they were that bad. There are plenty of youtube videos and you can buy fret wire cheap and if you get creative with the tools and look around you can get away pretty cheap there too.

Archived