In two minds about this odd electro hybrid 'travel' guitar...what are yr thoughts?

flori

• Members

You guys can spot potential DOA guitars better than any I know!....So is this worth a punt or will it end in tears :facepalm:.

I am always on the lookout for cheap-unusually versatile guitars to drag around with me on various elemetary school string playing projects I front as my day job.

The guitars need to be 'non-precious', interesting for children (!) and versatile enough to pretend to be (just) acceptable acoustically and electrically.

These peculiar 'travel hybrids'(just 6 cm deep but full scale) are doing the rounds in the uk for just shy of 100 squids.......what do you make of them in principle? Horrid or worth a risk.

They come in other colours!!! :rolleyes: (all black looks quite good)

62542e5e.jpg

I have had some success with my

• Members

You are looking to purchase one guitar for yourself, correct? And the guitar: will it be in the hands of the children, or will it be played solely by you?

Yes .... it would be for my use. My string workshops for young children (mostly playing violins/cellos etc....(but sometimes including a smattering of acoustic/electric starters) explore music of all types from Pachelbel to T Rex/Queen so a single guitar is that can range from unamplified acoustic to rawk in one slimline convenient package is appealing.

• Members

Hi cobalt and jello.....I suppose I am on a hiding to nothing looking for an acceptable compromise on the cheap here. I find that using, say, my '51 on the 'acoustic' modeling setting on the cube pretty grim-and the higher gain settings with a standard electro-acoustic equally so....so something that LOOKS as though it might work both scenarios better is intriguing. I would need it to work un-amped as well.

But I know that you usually get no better than you pay for!

Having said that-apart from my Aerodyne Strat...which is simply just a SUPERB players instrument-and I knew it would be- all my other cheapies have easily surpassed my expectations to date....so I think I might just suck it and see.

If nothing else- It would make a novel NGD? Or even a trendy new litter tray for the cat.

Bear in mind I am not actually a very good guitarist -AT ALL! so grown-up toanz are not the issue here ;)...my expertise is in viola playing! :evil:

• Members

...hmm...maybe you could try something like this...
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/NECK_MOUNT_JAZZ_PICKUP_CHROME_HJGN-2
it would cover a portion of the soundhole, but it would allow you to run the acoustic signal and a seprate electric signal...or you could play acoustically and mix in th electric...

...something I'll look into deeper for you...

• Members

That looks pretty cool, and lord knows the price is right. If someone stole it you wouldn't go harikiri over it... like the built in tuner, less stuff to haul about. Does it play decently? All in all, looks like good value for the money. I would get one...

Archived