What are the LiL Puncher XL's for tele bridge by GFS like?

billybilly

• Members

Hi. I am not a twang man, but do like my tele. I only use the bridge pickup in combination with the neck (lindy fralin blues). I want some power in the bridge for lead work.

Has anyone used these and can give some insight to how they are? Even other pickup suggestions for the bridge are welcome.

I have also considered the hot rails and little 59 by duncan.

thanks

• Members

I'm also not much of a twang guy... so I put the 'hot' version in my Turser (there's now a GFS 'Crunchy PAT' in the neck position as well):

3080712459_b6fb544b3f.jpg

To me, it sounds like a good humbucker :thu: & tamed a lot of the inherent brightness of this tele. It sounds thick yet still cuts through the mix nicely.

I've also got mine wired with a coil tap via a 5-way switch, so I can still get it to sound somewhat twangy if I like.

EDIT: I've also got a 'little '59' in one of my guitars. I HATED it as a bridge pickup in my Strat. I found it overly bright and not humbucker-like at all. I finally settled on putting it in the middle position of my Steinberger... for now.

• Members

How do they compare to hotrails, if you have tried them.

I am actually looking for a thick sound, not a real twangy sound.

I've used the punchers in a tele clone, and I have hotrails (albeit DD, not SD) in a strat clone, and I will opine that the GFS lil' punchers are a tad warmer and thicker than the hotrails. However, given that they were/are in different guitars, it's a bit difficult to confidently maintain that all the difference is in the pickups.

• Members

I put the high output one in the bridge of my Xaviere Tele copy. Not as hot as the 15K number would hint at. About like a slightly overwound PAF. And pretty bright, not quite as fat. The split mode will twang some if you leave a little room on your tone knob to brighten up a hint when going to split. Very useful tones.

• 7 months later...

Archived