Maybe a silly question - about humbucker covers???

Misha

• Members

Is there a difference in sound between covered humbuckers and uncovered humbuckers???

I would think there is one because there is a wall between the strings and the pu but I would like to know your opinion... :confused:

How would you describe the difference in sound? (If there's one.) Would it make the guitar sounds more bluesy?

• Members

Depends on what the "wall" is made of.. A plastic cover is electronically invisible. A metal one, well, some people say there is an increase in volume when you pull the covers off. Other people argue there is no difference. I've never done it personally, so I can't comment on a metal one.. But plastic I've done, and the end result concurs with the science behind plastic when it comes to magnetism.. It simply doesn't exist.

• Members

A metal cover will occasionally lower the volume and perceived output of a pickup.

For the most part, however, it would be such a small difference that you wouldn't notice it.

FWIW, I prefer the look of metal covers.

• Members

Metal covers will attenuate some of the high end, that may be the reason for perceived volume change. The type of metal makes a difference too with pure nickel silver covers being more transparent and having the least impact.

• Members

i kinda found that a cover rolls off some of the very high freq of the note.. warms it up and even gives it a bit of a woodier? tone.. its pretty subdued. but i notice it.. there seems to be a less heat with chords,,

or something..

Archived