ok, so the Ulitmate Les Paul amp?

scuzzo

• Members

I absolutely love my LP through my RV50.

Lovely cleans that crunches lightly or harder upon how you strum, and the dirty channel does it all from lovely edge of break up blues tones to smoothest of high gain - yet still does a lovely AC/DC or led zep type crunch.

And the bonus is that it sounds so good at low volume, it makes a smaller practice amp redundant. (Except that thanks to the GAS fairy, I still want another amp.... and other guitars..... :facepalm:)

familyportrait.jpg

• Members

I think it prefers the British voiced amps a bit more... or at least a bit more than the Fender Blackface 60s ones. If you're talking about a Junior or one with P90s (obviously, i have verbal diarrhea in that dept.), then things are a bit different... my Junior lurves the AC30.

• Members

Been trying a few AC15/30 lately - they are nice amp for sure.

I love the openness and spread of sound you get from them - no marshall I have tried seems to get anywhere close to that.

I can really dig a LP through a marshall, but very often find the tonal palet limited there. :idk:

I guess I'm not quite an expert either, only ever tried the more modern marshalls in shops.(DSL, TSL, JVM205 & 410)

• Members

I think if as the OP asks, what is the "ultimate" then it has to be a Marshall, JCM or JTM or 1962 thats the real question.

Hell Engls should go in here somewhere too, there aren't many amps that a good LP doesn't sound good through

All of the above sound great, but which is the "bollocks"?

Well, if you put it that way, it's much easier - It'll be my Rockerverb, no questions..... :cop:

:p

:wave:

• Members

I think it prefers the British voiced amps a bit more... or at least a bit more than the Fender Blackface 60s ones.

Plenty of classic tones with a Les Paul and a Blackface amp. Mike Bloomfield to start.

• Members

At the Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves reunion gig, I played a few songs on my LP-alike Vintage Lemon Drop (with Trev Wilkinson's PAF-style HBs wired a la Peter Green) through the same old Fender Super Reverb (and the same front-panel settings) I used with my Strat ... and it was just the schweet'n'bloozey tone I wanted in order to play F. Mac's Need Your Love So Bad with a hint of the maestro's vibe.

If you want to bring tEh rAwK, a Marshall (or something with a Marshall flava, like a Blackstar or Cornford) would probably be the way to go.

• Members

I think if as the OP asks, what is the "ultimate" then it has to be a Marshall, JCM or JTM or 1962 thats the real question.

Hell Engls should go in here somewhere too, there aren't many amps that a good LP doesn't sound good through

All of the above sound great, but which is the "bollocks"?

The "bollocks" is a JCM800 full stack, all the way up.

• Members

:eek:

Typo PLEASE!!!
:cop::eek:

of course. :p

his is a custom made 40w head w/avatar 2x12. can't put the volume past 9 o'clock without drowning everyone out. guitar is a bone stock mij squier ('cept for the pg). shoulda bought this one when i had the chance...

• Members

Has anyone ever actually turned a full stack all the way up? I've never dared go past 3 or 4 with one 4x12!

yes....in fact i have with a full stack ......i was not standing IN FRONT of it when i did so.....but there ya go.....now the question is....who here besides me (and maybe Leslie) have ever cranked up all the way a 1969 Sunn 200 Watt Colliseum ??? :eek::eek:

in any case.....as far as the OP....i'm still going with the Vox sounds and i do like the Soldano's too.....i did get some fantastic tones from an original 1975 Mesa Boogie Mark I with 1x15.....THAT thing was out of this world.....but they don't make them like that any more :cry:

and of course....if you've got a spare $20,000 laying around.....a Dumble Overdrive Special is ALWAYS nice :facepalm:

Archived