Les Paul Standard 2010 Limited...and it's a robot...

steve_man

• Members

Swap out the chrome covers for black exposed coils on the hummer and a black cover on the neck pickup, lose that robot b.s. and the pickguard and we'll talk. Oh, and would a standard stop bar tailpiece be too much to ask?

I dunno, I've never been a Gibson fanboy, but they seem to design some cool guitars, then they add gimmicky features that are a turn off. Just my opinion.

• Members

man that glowy disco ball knob just..

no..

just no..

i would rather just tune my own guitar and leave the special silly robot stuff to Q.. it really detracts from all that is cool about a LP.. mho.. ick

• Members

man that glowy disco ball knob just..

no..

just no..

i would rather just tune my own guitar and leave the special silly robot stuff to Q.. it really detracts from all that is cool about a LP.. mho.. ick

Now why is that? I just picked up a Robot Explorer and playing around with it has been really fun. No more checking my tuning after every song, no more checking my tuning when I first pick up the guitar - just time to play play play!

Plus, being able to go from Standard E to Eb t Open E in seconds is amazing, and I'm sure is the primary selling point of the robot system. I'm more motivated than ever to play.

• Members

Have you tried the robot system? I was skeptical...but it works really well...I'd like one!

I was skeptical too, before I picked one up at the Sam Ash sale. But the system, so far, works exactly as advertised.

• Members

Now why is that? I just picked up a Robot Explorer and playing around with it has been really fun. No more checking my tuning after every song, no more checking my tuning when I first pick up the guitar - just time to play play play!

Plus, being able to go from Standard E to Eb t Open E in seconds is amazing, and I'm sure is the primary selling point of the robot system. I'm more motivated than ever to play.

I've played one as well (also a Les Paul), and absolutely loved it. Sounded like a Les Paul, and switching tunings was a breeze. I do a lot of open tunings, so it was tempting.

• Members

its the same reason they should not have electronic shifting on roadbikes.. mho.. unless you gig and dont have to guitars at the ready.. then i see no reason at all for this kinda thing... if you gig you will have more then one guitar for tuning open.. i can tune my guitar my self it takes about 20 seconds for me to go from E to open A or G or what ever.. its just not an issue for me.. and the ascetics of that glow ball thing and relying on some robot to twist a knob.. nope... not my bag... play what you want... but i think they are quite silly.. just another var to go wrong..

you can put spinners on an austin martin... but ..

it really looks silly..

am010615.jpg

and those Bicycle Bell Strap locks..

wow.. thats keen..

• Members

If I had fifty guitars, then one of them would certainly be a robot... but until then I think my life has other less gimmicky guitar-shaped holes to fill.

Like a 12-string, tenor guitar, baritone, um, 8 string, pedal steel... pretty much anything else!

• Members

Why in hell do you want to take a beautiful piece of art and change something? I dont {censored}ing get it! Destroy the future value so you can have a pick up or whatever? Ego to the max. But of course you know better than the engineers and designers at Gibson. Or Fender. So why in hell cant you accept them as they are made? I dont get it. Never have. If you are going to take a beautiful LP or Fender Tele or Strat and change it to your {censored}ing specifications why dont you go to work for those companies and set them straight? I have passed on purchasing several early Fenders and Gibsons because some ass hole had to route out a place for their pu's, or put another neck on the damned thing. Buy a {censored}ing SX and do your dirty work on them.

• Members

Why in hell do you want to take a beautiful piece of art and change something? I dont {censored}ing get it! Destroy the future value so you can have a pick up or whatever? Ego to the max. But of course you know better than the engineers and designers at Gibson. Or Fender. So why in hell cant you accept them as they are made? I dont get it. Never have. If you are going to take a beautiful LP or Fender Tele or Strat and change it to your {censored}ing specifications why dont you go to work for those companies and set them straight? I have passed on purchasing several early Fenders and Gibsons because some ass hole had to route out a place for their pu's, or put another neck on the damned thing. Buy a {censored}ing SX and do your dirty work on them.

A guitar is not art. A guitar is a tool to CREATE art.

• Members

yea cause god knows thos SX's are complete crap..

:cool:

4534376471_d8d642e167_z.jpg

• Members

Well....

It's not a matter of ego. It's a matter of getting the guitar you want.

I'm sure you have never changed anything on a guitar, ever. You apparently believe that when a guitar is built, it should stay 100 percent original, regardless of whether parts are faulty, unnecessary, etc..

And don't give me that "well, you should just buy a different guitar and mod it" b.s.. If I want that guitar and don't like a few "features" it has, you bet your as I'll mod it f I want. I'm spending the money, I'll get what I want.

Remember, these are companies that mass produce guitars. Just like cars, houses, and almost anything else for that matter, one size does not fit all. So we mod them to our tastes and needs. What works for one player may not work for the next.

• Members

Swap out the chrome covers for black exposed coils on the hummer and a black cover on the neck pickup, lose that robot b.s. and the pickguard and we'll talk. Oh, and would a standard stop bar tailpiece be too much to ask?

I dunno, I've never been a Gibson fanboy, but they seem to design some cool guitars, then they add gimmicky features that are a turn off. Just my opinion.

Even if you think the robot tuning is a gimmick (and I love it), the locking tuners and locking jack are just plain improvements over the normal Gibson hardware even if you never choose to use the robot tuning.

When this gets closed out at $999 like the other robots, I will be all over it.

• Members

A good LP is something you keep forever and pass down to your kids when you check out. To me, the robot hardware adds a gimmick that, when it breaks, would a HUGE hassle and expense to have fixed, and, if you don't fix it, you then have a classic guitar with this rather obvious gigantic flaw. No thanks.

Archived