What digital recorders do you guys like?

MattZ31

• Members

I've got a friend at work who's in his 60s probably so he's not so hip on modern recording procedures, but he's pretty good at tinkering with electronics to an extent and he wanted me to ask you guys what digital multi track recorders you guys liked, that are actually user friendly. A friend of his that I also work with has a 4 track Tascam from a few years back, but it has to be plugged into a computer and they said it's pretty difficult to use, and he doesn't wanna track his relative down everytime they want to just burn a simple cd, so here are his requests:

User friendly!!!!

Onboard CD burner so he can burn a cd to jam to or give to his grandkids

Possibly some on board effects (but I suggested a good effects processor to use on his amp instead)

About $500-700

Able to adjust and master the CD and burn it right there, all in one box

I told him he may also want to try a guitar interface for a computer and record to a PC, then just use some simple software to adjust volume, fix mistakes, add effects if he wanted to, stuff like that, then burn to a cd from the computer.

If anyone has some suggestions of brands and models that are real easy to use and has what he's looking for, I'd appreciate it and pass the information along.

• Members

Korg. I've had two, and I currently use the D1200 MKII, which they've probably discontinued. TONS of features, and yes, you do need to read the manual, but I was up and running within 15 minutes of opening the box. Since then, I've really gotten into the mastering and effects features - time spent tweaking is generally rewarded.

• Members

Tascam DP-02 is a good machine, I replaced my my tape portastudio with it a few years ago, paid $500 for it. They are down to $350 now, good for recording solo, onboard guitar and vocal effects, fairly easy to use, 8 tracks with two inputs at a time.

Looks like the 2488 has been updated with onboard effects and they are selling that for $650 now, if you need eight inputs and 24 tracks.

Here's something I recorded on the DP-02.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=840283&content=songinfo&songID=7044630

• Members

I've been using a Fostex VF160EX for five years now and the only complaints I have is that you can only run the compressor on either two channels, or all channels simultaniously. You can also only use two of the onboard effects at a time, but how many differant types of reverb could you possibly need???

Archived