Switching to a Strat looking for help

brilthorladros

• Members

I'm looking to switch from my gib 57 VOS to a strat. However, I'm in the market and there are so many different types I was looking for some assistance to narrow it down. Definately looking for american, fat neck, higher output pickups, solidly built and something that will increase in value. Money isnt the issue. I played the calpton strat and a couple other "artists" but I was looking for something more generic that I can make my own. Thanks in advance to all.

• Members

I'm looking to switch from my gib 57 VOS to a strat. However, I'm in the market and there are so many different types I was looking for some assistance to narrow it down. Definately looking for american, fat neck, higher output pickups, solidly built and
something that will increase in value
. Money isnt the issue. I played the calpton strat and a couple other "artists" but I was looking for something more generic that I can make my own. Thanks in advance to all.

Over how long of a period?

• Members

I'm just looking for it to increase value over the years. I'd like to give it to my son in about 5 or 6 years when he is ready. As far as signature series go its just not my thing. I prefer a no name and giving it my own character if you know what I mean.

• Members

There are so many of them. I'd be looking for something with a flatter fretboard radius (9.5" at least), a nitro finish, a lightweight body (read no American Standards) and some righteous pickups.

Wildwood has these Thinskin AVRI's for around $1600. 9.5", SRV neck.

se04686_lg1.jpg

These Custom Classics are sweet. They have similar specs to the above with "2 Modern Classic Single-Coil Pickups (Neck, Middle), 1 Hot Classic Single-Coil Pickup (Bridge), with Custom Steel Inductance Plate."

cz512816_lg1.jpg

Also, check out the Wildwood 10 Customs with a 10" radius and the Thinskin Signature Strats that Wildwood has made for their shop.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/10_customs/

Shell pink anyone:

r49662_lg1.jpg

• Members
How about a non Fender strat?

http://www.suhrguitars.com/proSeries.aspx?series=c1_c2

http://www.andersonguitars.com/product_information/models/s_family/sfam.cfm

I'd second that.
There can be better than Fender for a strat.

I got a Vigier Expert Retro 54, standard strats & deluxe strat didn't compare well to:

http://www.vigierguitars.com/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=273

Basically a reengineered strat.
If you go through the fixture list, you'll see everything has been redesigned where it matters. :D

• Members

I have 3 custom shop telecasters and a 57 vos goldtop. I'm looking to add to my collection of amazing sounding instruments. I play regularly and am looking toward something different. I am willing to spend about 2K but would like prefer to find something that fits me and my style more. I definately prefer fat necks. The 50's neck on my gibson it tremendous! alot of the strat necks are very thin and they seems to be over laquered. I like feel of a raw baseball bat type neck if I can get it.

• Members
The joy of creating music is
priceless

The future monetary value of an instrument should not be a consideration.

All things Non intrinsic value should increase in value as they get older and some things with intrinsic value (provided they are taken care of and valued to begin with) Should you get paid the same for a job that you've mastered even though you started as an apprentice? I love and appreciate music now more than I did as a kid. My 57 VOS increased in value in the last year (LP RIP). I think that especially with music this is most evident. If you invest 2K+ in an instrument that you love and take care of you should be able to expect that it wont drop in value but will stay static or increase. Provided you take care of it. However, if you have a 58 Les Paul laying around that you dont play I'll trade for an Indigo Girls CD. :p

• Members

To be blunt there's no point in buying a recent guitar expecting it to go up in value, because it most likely won't.

This.

Get something you like, play the hell out of it and forget resale

• Members

Why not have both? It is obvious for us to enjoy our sledgehammers and just play to enjoy the music and being lost in the moment of creation. But shouldnt we expect more from the companies we are "donating" our money too for our joy and hobbies. Oh well. I guess it doesn't matter on a grander scale.

• Moderators

I play regularly and am looking toward something different. I am willing to spend about 2K .

Nothing you can buy for 2K new, with Fender on the headstock is likely to appreciate to any extent

The only thing I can think of with Fender on the headstock that you could buy for 2k and hope for appreciation is a mint 70s Strat with OHSC, and it'd want to be bomb proof genuine

Apart from that maybe a used special Masterbuilt or a used one off with some very select woods, but even then, if it's modern, it simply aint gonna appreciate

I'd consider some of the boutique Caster builders like Melancon etc

• Members

I think the Warmoth stuff is great - it may not be an 'investment' instrument but you could have it built the way you want it - including a fat Les Paul type neck. You could have the body routed for whatever pickup combination you choose. The quality of their wood, machining and finishing is outstanding. It's worth a look.

Archived