The Sex Pistols had a greater influence on todays Rock than the Beatles did.

knotty

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since they were influenced by the Ramones and one of their influences was The Beatles, your argument is null.

Everybody is influenced by someone / something. Its your arguement that is invalid.

• Members

I could almost see the argument since you are referring to 'today's music', but nothing about the Sex Pistols was about autotuning or commercialization to the point of vomitting.

If you are referring to the 'find a formula and stick with it' thing than I can see that point. That's what is so amazing about the Beatles is that after their first album they branched out to staggering levels of musical variation. To be honest I can't come up with another band off the top of my head that had their diversity and made it work.

I'd say that Van Halen had a much bigger impact than the Sex Pistols did though. He influenced an ass load of players in the 80's and 90's and a lot of that stuff is kind of working it's way back into music.

• Members

The Beatles influenced more than the Sex Pistols have. Fewer people listen to the Pistols than the Beatles. That makes the Beatles a "greater influence" than the Sex Pistols. This goes for Rock also. The Sex Pistols were a specialized "punk" band, whereas the Beatles used many different styles. This in itself appeals to a broader range and larger number of people who are in turn influenced.

• Members

Ok, I'll jump in on this just because I dislike the Sex Pistols so much. First of all, the Sex Pistols are not and were never punk rock. They were fashion and cultural icons practically created and hyped a lot by Malcolm McLaren. They were a publicity stunt.

That said, they were influenced by the Ramones who WERE very influential. But I don't know how much of that influence is really felt today. Modern rock radio are too afraid to actually play bands with talent so they play the same boring music I hear everywhere else. And why? Those are the bands that get signed.

So if you really want to blame someone for all the crappy music being pumped out, go back and blame whoever it was that signed Limp Bizkit and Nickelback and bands like that. We're still suffering for their success.

Done ranting now. What was the topic again?

• Members

Influence is impossible to measure. 99% of 'rock' music is derivative, and therefore influenced, sometimes indirectly, or not deliberately.

The Sex Pistols however WERE at the start of an arguably more profound change/revolution in music (OK, influenced by the Ramones, but we're not talking about just music here) in the UK and in UK politics and youth culture, when compared to The Beatles. The latter probably shared out their impact a little more evenly, in this respect, with other early-mid sixties bands. 1976/7 and onward was a massive sticking up of two fingers to the political and musical establishment, in a much more aggressive way than ever before. It was a reaction to the perceived complacency and self indulgence of bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, and all those 'hippies', and the coming to a head of frustration with an allied political complacency. It was the perfect kind of setting for the slightly later protests against Thatcherism.

Now, as we are about to have all our public services cut, and as the Cameronian 'Big Society' pits communities against each other, by expecting them to run and finance many of their everyday services, it will be interesting to see if something similar occurs.

• Members

Everybody is influenced by someone / something. Its your arguement that is invalid.

Wrong on all counts. "Arguement" isn't a word. The Beatles were more influential no matter how narrowly you limit things - punk rock, hard rock, metal, etc, were all far more influenced by The Beatles, just read/listen to the artists themselves.

If you had made the same argument about The Ramones, of course, you would still be wrong, but at least you would be wrong about a far more influential and original band.

• Members

The Sex Pistols were a joke band. The band members were picked for their appearance and everything else was supplied for them. They were a boy band in bondage pants. Anyone who gives them any more respect than that is fooling themselves.

... But no greater fool than the one who fails to look at the wider context or understand the history. They weren't there to play nice tunes, obviously. They were manufactured {censored}, to expose ALL of the manufactured {censored}, and to expose much more than that.

• Members

And if you follow that logic then your original assertion is invalid.

Now, I would say that the Pistols influence is somewhat more apparent in much of today's music, as is Punk's influence in general, than the Beatles. Of course, the result of this is that Punk is merely another genre of music out there (see-Green Day). It's heyday of being at the vangard of social/cultural expression as a musical form is looooong gone. But then, that happens with all forms of music. It doesn't invalidate today's versions. It just doesn't mean the same thing it did.

In it's way Punk is as much a music for middle-aged white guys these days as Blues.

• Members

The Sex Pistols were a joke band. The band members were picked for their appearance and everything else was supplied for them. They were a boy band in bondage pants. Anyone who gives them any more respect than that is fooling themselves.

Apart from the fact that they wrote all the songs themselves (mostly -- lyrics: Rotten; music: Glen Matlock) and played all their own instruments on their records without the aid of session guys ...

In other words: they created their own music without outside writers or players and, for what it's worth, they were one of the half-dozen most exciting rock bands I've ever seen live.

• Members

Apart from the fact that they wrote all the songs themselves (mostly -- lyrics: Rotten; music: Glen Matlock) and played all their own instruments on their records without the aid of session guys ...

In other words: they created their own music without outside writers or players and, for what it's worth, they were one of the half-dozen most exciting rock bands I've ever seen live.

OK, they might have helped to shock a generation, shift youth culture and bare their backsides to the establishment, but did they have any widdly solos and unusual chord progressions? That's what really matters...

Archived