BC Rich Draco

Spike Li

• Members

Has anyone here had any experience with the BC Rich Draco? ie played or owned one?

draco.jpg

Now before the negative comments start racking up: when I first saw one of these years ago I thought it was laughably stupid looking. Reminded me more or a tulip than a dragon, which is the look its goin for. But recently Ive been searching around for a shredder style guitar, 25.5" scale length, hardtail with a wide nut width and all i seem to come across are super strats with trems, which to me are quite boring. I briefly saw a Draco again recently and this time around I found its crazy design to be quite good looking, not to mention unique (that said im still not a big fan of the headstock...).

Well, anyway, I used to write of explorers as "stupid looking pointy guitars" until I actually tried one and fell in love with them, so I thought id give the Draco a shot. My main concerns with this tho, as with all guitars, is how comfortable it is to play sitting and is it neck heavy at all? Im guessing that being a V shape, its not the best to play it sitting, but those bevels do look kinda knee friendly...

Also Ive never really heard of Rockfield pickups, are they any good?

DRACO.jpg

• Members

I think it's quite ugly because of the body itself but also because the headstock was not made to match the design of the body. It cannot be comfortable sitting down because the neck would just be angled towards the ground.

Hell, even the string-through design is messed-up.

• Members

Never played one brother, but have always :love:d the look of them. I imagine it would be alright sitting down, if nothing else, you could probably hook the V inside your leg while sitting and playing.

haha, i knew you would approve of this Hellion :wave:

hmmm, ive always liked the look of Vs, but hated how theyve played... i really hope this is an exception cause this design is really growing on me - im just so sick of looking at the same million different superstrats :bor:

• Members

I can't comment on the Draco, but something tells me a Jackson Kelly or King V would be right up your alley.

yeah i dont mind the kelly, but to me it just seems like an explorer wannabe... id rather play the real thing :thu:

• Members

Ok so I tried one out today. Didnt end up getting it tho... It wasnt neck heavy when I played it with a strap, and wasnt too bad playing sitting down - one of the bevels made it sit comfortably on my right thigh, although it kept slipping off. Neither pickup sounded that great, especially since im a big fan of hums in the neck, and the pup selector was a push/pull function on the vol knob. None of these things were a big deal, the deal breaker for me was that the supposed "jumbo" frets were very low... like too low to get good bends happening, and this is with a very glossy ebony board (like esps)...

So yeah, wasnt bad, didnt dislike it, but just didnt like it enough to get one :idk:

I guess I might have been more in a buying mood if the salesman didnt seem like he was desperately trying to restrain himself from punching me in the face :facepalm:... he just seemed to have this aura of grumpiness which screamed "GET OUT"... made me not wanna buy the 57 classic plus which I entered the store planning on getting for my Edwards... i did anyway :rawk:

• Members

About it being a face, is that for real or are you just guessing? I just thought they were supposed to be dragon horns or something, hence the name.

About the salesman, yeah it funny because more often than not I have great experiences with salesmen. In fact im on a first name basis with many of them from many different stores :lol:, so I find it kind of surprising when they act like they dont want my business :idk:

Archived