Major Accidents At Guitar Shops

*BLEEP*

• Members

I suspect that some of you who have worked retail at music shops have better stories than me, but here's some of mine.

I've witnessed only 4 or 5 accidents at music shops that I can recall. But, I witnessed a couple of doozies about 90 minutes apart in one day at Mars Music about 8 or 9 years ago.

The first was when a skinny high school kid was attempting to either be hanging up or getting down a Fender Nashville Telecaster (a 3 pickup Tele model) when it went straight to the floor and rammed the rear strap button deep into the body. The sound of it was quite loud and a lot of people in the store (me included) were suddenly looking at a now-bright-red kid staring at a Telecaster laying on the floor. I looked at the guitar closely later. The embedded strap button damage appeared to be the only visible damage. No scratches as far as I could tell!

About 90 minutes later, some typical middle aged short guy was attempting to pull a guitar down from the hangers. [My suspicion was (later) that the guy might've been slightly intoxicated.]

I was right near him test driving some Tech21 guitar amp heads and cabinets. Instead of moving the Epiphone ES-335 sitting on a floor stand between him and the wall of guitars so that it was out of the way, he decides to lean over the ES-335 to get to the wall of guitars in front of him. As he's pulling down an Epi LP about half way up the wall, suddenly he loses his footing or something and the {censored} just starts coming down the wall in a chain reaction. This idiot falls forward against the wall and is now under some of the stuff coming down the wall. I think 5 guitars came down the wall during that period of about 3 seconds of him frolicking about. ::major-facepalm::

The idiot knocked over the ES-335 onto the (carpeted) floor early on, but ended up shielding it from the SGs and LPs coming down when he fell against the wall. Some of the guitars coming down got chipped and scratched and they scratched other guitars that stayed on the wall hangers. I saw the po-lice there later, but didn't stick around to see what happened to the guy that did the damage. 2 hours at a Mars Music on a Saturday was more than I could normally take and I was outta there!

I saw someone accidentally put their toes through a "vintage" bass cabinet speaker at Geetar Center once. Another time at GC, I saw someone get there feet tangled up in a guitar cable laying on the floor as they were walking down the isle, ripping the crap out of the cable and probably messing up the amp input jack.

• Members

At a shop called Parker's Music here in houston, a id was handling an ESP Alexi custom V. Long story short, he dropped it and ended up breaking off a good chunck of both wings on that beautiful guitar. The shop owner was so mad. After that little incident, no one was allowed to play the high end stuff without staff supervision.

• Members

Didn't see it when it happened but I took a tele down from the wall and it looked like someone took it outside, crapped on it, and slid it on the parking lot, and ran a screwdriver into it on accident. Despite all that, it was selling for a pretty hefty price. :p

Archived