Single coils and humbuckers are different

Frets99

Stop making them try to do the same thing!!:mad:

I love sweet airy bell and chime from single coils and I love the clarity they have when overdriven...

BUT!!!

They don't have the almost syrupy fullness of a really nice humbucker tone like this one

[YOUTUBE]FvGomm2OpsM[/YOUTUBE]

Or Johnny A's "Another Life...

J/S

Brilliant!

Actually of late, I've been digging some of the in between sounds you can get with mini hums, stacked hums, dual rails, and P90's...

There's a lot of beautiful territory in there. I lean towards P90's because they share clarity with a single coil and dance within the full syrupy parameters of HBs. I've always dug the dual rail tones and recently began appreciating mini hums as well.

• Members

Of late I've been getting away from Fender (Strat/Tele) singles and standard HB's as well. Into funkier stuff like P-90's, DeArmond 2000's (cheap Dyna-Sonic-alikes), lipsticks, Brownsville toasters (singles), and mini's. I miss my Daisy Rock Retro-H, those mini's were great, though I still have a Seymour Duncan mini as the neckbucker in my Frankentele.

• Members

For me, it's Gretsch Dynasonic, and Rickenbacker Hi-Gains pickups lately. A lot of the beef of a humbucker, because their coils are overwound (Ric Hi-Gains have 11.2K of DC resistance, and Gretsch Dynasonics have 8 to 11K of DC resistance - both picups are wound hotter than a PAF), and have a larger magnetic field. But, being single coils, they have most of the clarity and chime of smaller single coils.

• Members

Where do noiseless Strat pickups fall on that scale? Are they actually stacked humbuckers? Like the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups in the Deluxe Players Strat. I'm finding them single coil like in 2 & 4 but almost P90-ish in the middle & neck alone positions.

• Members

i never under stood allegiance to this and only this Pickup config or guitar style.. its a different style of brush or a different kinda of cutting tool or what ever.. yes you can come close to a single coil with a HB.. but it will not be that kinda tone.. there are places you can go with a HB that you cannot with a strat.. tone colors exec.. just as there are places you can go with a Strat that you cannot with a HB.. you will never get the same kinda glasses from a HB and you will not get the same chord definition fullness, velvet.. cush.. on a Strat you will on a Strat.. you might come close.

• Members

Where do noiseless Strat pickups fall on that scale? Are they actually stacked humbuckers? Like the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups in the Deluxe Players Strat. I'm finding them single coil like in 2 & 4 but almost P90-ish in the middle & neck alone positions.

Yep, either stacked hums or rail pups with a false top to look like a traditional sc. There about as close as you can get to the traditional SC tone as you can get without using one. I would definitely put them in the SC camp tonewise but some are wound a bit hotter falling somewhere between a SC and a hum...

• Members

I have the Hot Noiseless set in one of my Strats, and used to have another fitted with the Kinman AVn Blues set. They both sounded like ... like ... well, like STRATS.

• Members
For me, it's Gretsch Dynasonic, and Rickenbacker Hi-Gains pickups lately. A lot of the beef of a humbucker, because their coils are overwound (Ric Hi-Gains have 11.2K of DC resistance, and Gretsch Dynasonics have 8 to 11K of DC resistance - both picups are wound hotter than a PAF), and have a larger magnetic field. But, being single coils, they have most of the clarity and chime of smaller single coils.

Almost forgot about the Hi-Gains in my Ric! :facepalm:

I'll have to play that at rehearsal tonight. Thanks for reminding me!

:thu:

64187964_178d5e6b9c_o.jpg

• Members

Brilliant!

Actually of late, I've been digging some of the in between sounds you can get with mini hums, stacked hums, dual rails, and P90's...

I'm currently obsessed with P-90's. Got a new amp a few months back, and nothing sounds as good to me as my SG Classic.

• Members

They can be the same with a wonderful little invention called a "coil tap"

:poke: I've have 3 guitars with split HBs, but no. Tapped, or split, they aren't the same, and while tapping/splitting will make a HB sound more like a SC they are still different, IME, just like scuzzo said about the unmodified ones (just less different).

Archived