Saw a most unusual guitar today ... Gibson Lava!

HanSolo

• Members

One of my clients is LavaLite LLC the makers of the iconic Lava Lamps. Their CFO knew I was a guitar guy so he showed me two custom built Gibson promo guitars they had made years ago.

Lava commissioned Gibson to make 5 Lava Lamp Guitars at a cost of $6,500 each. It was basically a single pickup guitar shaped like a Lava Lamp and custom painted dark blue with orange free-form blob spots on the body. Free form orange pearl inlays ran up the fingerboard. The top half of the body was a dead-on, flying V shape so Gibson must have used a flying V blank for the body. The body was very narrow like a lap-steel guitar. The neck and headstock were from a Les Paul Std. with a plain black 3x3 headstock, inlaid Gibson script and an engraved commemorative plate.

Two of the five remain. The other 3 were either raffled off or given away. One was supposedly signed by the original members of Lynyrd Skynrd and raffled off with the proceeds donated to charity.

img00082201003021439.jpg

• Members

cool. Got a pic to post or just your verbal description for us to jeer at?

Pic posted. Trippy guitar. Personally, I think they should have mounted a conical base on it so you could free-stand it up.

• Members

Now we know who's been drawing all the Gibson designs the last few years.

Potheads staring at lava lamps. It all makes sense now!

EG

Another mystery of the universe explained! :thu:

I knew there had to be an explanantion for the "Lawn Dart V" and the "Dusk to Dawn Tiger".

Check out the "craftsmanship" ... the "base" below the tailpiece isn't even symmetrical.

• Members

You should see their conference room. Wall to wall lava lamps and love bead curtains instead of doors. Seriously. At my first meeting, we sat on the floor around a hand carved, Chinese "tea table" and had tea. They are really cool people. It was like being back in the late 60's-early 70's.

• 4 months later...

Archived