NGD - Vintage Explorer Content!

Josh S

• Members
PICS NAO!

Oh, I didn't mention I own one of the 23 Bill Lewis guitars? Or that it was made in the original shop before the other ones and is essentially a pre-production guitar (and yes, I've spoken to Bill's daughter and one of his old shop assistants about it)? Yeah, I have one :thu: I swear, there is no way there is anyone in any other Floyd tribute act that's even touched one, let alone plays one in their show. I can guarantee ya that!

It's ugly, though. Someone a long time ago switched it to lefty - so they actually moved the controls to the other side. Mine was already hollowed out on both sides, so that's no biggie, but they did drill through the top in a few places. They also removed the Bigsby that was on there (yep, stock). This means it has a bunch of plugs in the top and so I've never posted pics since it's bad looking :cop:

...But it sounds amazing :cool: Really adds some authenticity to our shows when I use it to play the Money solos :D

• Members

Congrats!
i had an '85 explorer a few years ago.
it played great ,nice neck,killer sound,but i got rid of it because i couldn't get used to the size of it,it's a big ass piece of wood,and heavy as {censored}!!
too big for me ,but i do love them!

• Members

that guitar must be awesome

great pickup choices as well

It is awesome. Yeah, Bareknuckle pickups absolutely rule. I don't think I'm going to be buying from any other companies any time soon. Amazing sound, amazing service. What else could you want?

• Members

I am so {censored}ing jealous!!! I am a huge Edge fan, too, and ever since watching It Might Get Loud I have been jones-ing for an Explorer. It's my birthday on Monday so I am going hunting. I can only hope to find something half as nice!!!
:thu:

• Members

Yeah it's a heck of a nice neck - I nomally have necks a big more V-shaped, though; this thing has shoulders. I always wanted an Explorer but could never bond with the thin neck they all have now, so this is the ticket :thu:

That Hamer posted above looks great, ps. I had a Hamer Studio a while back and it was an amazing guitar. I tried to find a Hamer Explorer for years - but they're almost as hard to find as one of these Gibson ones :D Someone should jump on that one for sale...

I am so {censored}ing jealous!!! I am a huge Edge fan, too, and ever since watching
It Might Get Loud
I have been jones-ing for an Explorer. It's my birthday on Monday so I am going hunting. I can only hope to find something half as nice!!!

:thu:

Well, happy birthday! Good luck in your quest :D You're not too far away, so if you ever come to the island you're welcome to give it a spin :cool:

• Members
IMG_8483.jpg

The OP's guitar looks great now and I'm glad he was able to resurrect it.

But that photo above it the reason I won't be shelling-out hard-stolen dollars for a Gibson, any time soon.

Is that really the kind of workmanship that should come with a multi-thousand dollar price-tag?

Perhaps I'm not very knowledgeable about how a high-quality set-neck joint is made (maybe all makers do it that way), but that don't look right to me.

I'll stick with bolt-necks, until such time as I can afford a portable X-ray imager to check-out any prospective set-neck purchases.

• Members

Looks wonderful. Gotta love those big-ass Gibson necks.

And much as I'd love to disagree with Headless up there, that neck joint is probably ten times stronger now that your tech's done with it. So you got a 76 Explorer for super cheap, and now it's better than new. Sort of a win-win for you. :)

Archived