New Original Song/Video: Does it Rock or Suck?

• Members

Hey, thanks for the compliment. I know not everyone is into the fast 80s style guitar stuff, so your comment is appreciated.

The guitar in the video is not the one used to record the song. I recorded with a Charvel that had Duncans: JB and Jazz. The mid solo where it changes key was recorded with my Carvin, which has the standard Carvin pups. You can see both of the headstocks of said guitars in my avatar pic.

I recorded all direct into my computer using Line 6 Toneport w/ POD Farm software. The recording program is Guitar Tracks Pro by Cakewalk.

• Members

Hey, thanks for the compliment. I know not everyone is into the fast 80s style guitar stuff, so your comment is appreciated.

The guitar in the video is not the one used to record the song. I recorded with a Charvel that had Duncans: JB and Jazz. The mid solo where it changes key was recorded with my Carvin, which has the standard Carvin pups. You can see both of the headstocks of said guitars in my avatar pic.

I recorded all direct into my computer using Line 6 Toneport w/ POD Farm software. The recording program is Guitar Tracks Pro by Cakewalk.

Great playing but what are you doing in the vid then?

• Members

I think it's great man, as always. Bravo.

If I had to offer constructive criticism. I would ask for giving the listener an additional and separate view point somewhere in the song. Whether it be a key change, mode change, time change, or effect. Just that space that takes it away, and then gives it back just a little bit deeper. Strip it down, show something more foreign but still related, and then jump back on it type thing.

But hey, you have great skill in my opinion and I can't imagine you not being successful as a guitarist.

• Members

Thanks for watching and commenting guys. It does change key from E minor to F sharp minor for the main solo. Anyway, I'll think about that when working on new stuff.

Great playing but what are you doing in the vid then?

Pretending to play the song and looking like a dork.

• Members

I thought it was pretty good besides the intro. The intro imo had too many effects going on for such simple a note progression type thingy.

I actually added the intro after finishing the main track. Since it's the lead off track on my cd, I decided I needed some kind of slow intro.

During the intro, there is a clean guitar, some keyboards, and the main lead melody. When you say too many effects, do you mean the keyboards? You think it would sound better without them? Shorter intro? No intro? Not that I can change it since the cds are already pressed, but I'm still curious about people's opinions.

• Members

I actually added the intro after finishing the main track. Since it's the lead off track on my cd, I decided I needed some kind of slow intro.

During the intro, there is a clean guitar, some keyboards, and the main lead melody. When you say too many effects, do you mean the keyboards? You think it would sound better without them? Shorter intro? No intro? Not that I can change it since the cds are already pressed, but I'm still curious about people's opinions.

Hey,

I'm not a writer myself, I'm actually terrible at it! I just think that the intro doesn't match the song, personally... it kind of seems out of place TO ME because it's too 'simple' for lack of a better word. It isn't memorable, at least to me, and when it was over and the riffs started kicking in I was surprised at the change.

• Members

i dug it, but i dug your other stuff too, especially guitar jam 3, so it's not big surprise really. I grew up on that kind of music so i guess there's a common link there. I liked the main riff and the driving beat of the song. Not a complaint at all, but at about the 3.20 mark in the song i would have loved a change in it like Paul Gilbert does in Technical Difficulties, that sort of half beat change like he does at the 1.50 mark in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g

apart from that rock on, i liked it.

• Members

You're not even close to sucking dude.

You play great..it's tight and clean and you've obviously worked very hard at it.

As a kid of the 80's I guess I'm just not really into those sounds anymore though. Been there heard that...kind of thing. But that is my bias and really doesn't matter if you dig what you're doing.

Good on ya for putting it out there though! I would love a few of your chops!

• Members

Thank you gentlemen. This is obviously a very 80s sounding song, and that's exactly what it was meant to be so even though it might not be what you're into these days, I'm glad you're enjoying it for what it is. I'm a product of the 80s. I grew up during that decade, learned to play guitar during that decade, and loved every second of it. When putting together the songs for my CD, I wanted a lead off track that was fast paced. One of my favorite albums, Toot & Nail (Dokken) starts off with the intro and then goes straight into the song "Tooth & Nail." That's kind of what I modeled this after. The beat/tempo is very similar. I know exactly what you're saying about the tempo change and doing half time, etc. While you don't hear it in this song, I did utilize that in some of the other songs. Anyway guys, thanks for watching. Now I'm going to go watch some reruns of Magnum P.I. while wearing my parachute pants!

Archived