Gonna build me a carbon fiber case

• Members

Hello fellow forumites, i have decided to undertake a project that has been floating around my head for a while. im gonna build me a carbon fiber case for my bass!(and maybe guitar if it works out well):thu: anyway, i work for a construction company and we had a job where we used carbon fiber to re-enforce a wall. long story short, we had extra. lots of extra. so i scored me a couple yards!;) its been sitting around for a few months and various ideas for its use have ran through my head (carbon fiber guitar, case, effect box ect.) but i finally decided to go for it! sadly my workshop for the moment is my bedroom floor, but it will do! not totally sure how this is gonna turn out, but either was it will be a learning experience. :facepalm: also this will be my first ongoing project thread. usually i just post after i finish a project with lots of pics and stuff but i thought i would keep a running thread so you all can see what works and especially what doesnt. also, i will post cost of materials when i can so at the end we can see how much i cost me! first a couple things, im kinda winging it but i have done research on working carbon fiber. im also VERY open to hint, tips, tricks and suggestions you guys have. (and the almighty Constructive Criticism!) also, i am not going for a glassy 3D carbon fiber look.ill do the best i can and if it turns out looking good, ill be happy. mostly im just interested in the structural side of it. light weight and very strong. if its too ugly ill paint the sucker! andyway, here is the begining of my project.:)

Day 1:

i decided i am gonna build a styrofoam box, wrap it in saranwrap and carbon fiber over it. once it is complete, ill cut the top off forming the lid. im still undecided as to whether the styrofoam will remain in the case as padding(most likely) or if ill take it out after its formed. well see when i get there. im using Styrofoam i also got from work. (yay excess materials!!) its abought 1/2" thick and 3'x5'. so today i cut the styrofoam to form the box. heres the pics! (kinda crappy)

The materials:

2dt0twi.jpg

The tools:

x0yx3t.jpg

The Cost:

-Carbon fiber cloth, 5.7 oz/sq yd, 50" Wide, .012" Thick, 3K, 2x2 Twill Weave: $40.00/yard (roughly) cost to me, $0.00:p

- Styrofoam, 3'x5'x1/2" : $0.00 (yay!)

will keep you updated, might start putting it together tonight!

• Members

okay i couldnt resist working on it more tonight.:facepalm:

im stickin it together with these little bastards:

24g8ww8.jpg

then im taping it for strength.

here it is with all the sides on!:

2drz32f.jpg

and the back showing my awesome tape skillz:

5fnp21.jpg

and heres one for some perspective:

20qklk2.jpg:love:

as im sitting here typing i can hear the tape popping off. lol guess thats where the pins come in. tomorrow ill pick up some ductape and really re-enforce all the edges. that will stick waaaayyyy beter than blue painters tape:mad: anyway, i had to stop cause i made a mistake. and what a noob one it is. when i cut the pieces for the top and bottom i made them the same size. once i added the side pieces to the SIDES of the bottom piece, the top piece is not large enough to cover the edges. and if i put it inside the sides the case will not be big enough on the inside.:facepalm::cry: so tomorrow ill cut a new top.:idk:

• Members

Heres some methodology for working with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188980

The project is unrelated but thats not too important. It does tell you how to remove excess epoxy which is important. It also tells you how to disolve the foam if thats the route you're taking. It might be good to keep the styrofoam it and cover it with cloth or you could remove it and use air foam used for matresses etc. You would need to install some additional bracing and neck brace in any case.

• Members

Heres some methodology for working with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188980

The project is unrelated but thats not too important. It does tell you how to remove excess epoxy which is important. It also tells you how to disolve the foam if thats the route you're taking. It might be good to keep the styrofoam it and cover it with cloth or you could remove it and use air foam used for matresses etc. You would need to install some additional bracing and neck brace in any case.

:thu: definitely plan on adding bracing a neck support. i will most likely leave the styrofoam in. thinking about filling the void with expanding foam then carving out a cavity for the guitar. probably add some less rigid foam on the lid and around the guitar. then ill cover it with velvet or something. thanks for the tips!

• Members

Wow, cool project!

Good luck!

haha thanks! ill need it:facepalm: well im at work but as soon as im home im probably gonna re-work the size and shape of the case. its just a little to big and bulky for my taste. i havent decided if i wanna keep it straight sided, or make it curvy.. any ideas?

• Members

While carbon fiber is strong and lightweight it does not handle impacts very well. It is less than ideal material for building a case.

it may not be as resistant to impact as plastic or metal but mostly im going for the stiffness and light weight capabilities. im not trying to build "the perfect case" just want to try to see if i can make one with carbon fiber. :idk: also it will be more than one layer of cloth. well see how it is once it is completed.

• Members

Day #2:

got home from work, trimmed it down a bit. made the back smaller and the edges shorter. also cut the piece for the top. i decided to stick with the squared design instead of a form fitting curved design. its a little bulky but i wanna have lots of storage room inside. maybe my next one will be nice and curvy! :thu: so i put the top on, making it a closed box. then i duct taped the crap out of it! duct tape is to make it stronger, round the edges a bit, and to keep the epoxy from eating my styrofoam away!:eek: thats all im gonna do tonight, my back hurts! still undecided as to whether or not to wrap this thing in saran wrap before i epoxy.... anyway, Pic time!!

trimmed and re-assembled:

8yx4dc.jpg

if you look at the first pic i posted about like this you can see i didnt trim a ton off, but it made it a little more snug. mostly i took off height of the edges.

Taping taping taping taping....:bor:

20uzbie.jpg

All covered up!:

24y3g3a.jpg

And one more just cause i love duct tape!":p

2hd33af.jpg

My room (oops "workshop") is covered in styrofoam! time to clean... gah.

my family says i should just slap a handle on it and call it done! lol

as for the cost for today;

Duct tape, $2.50ea x 2 = $5.00

well i think the easy part is done.... now comes the part where i can really mess up... yay....

• Members

thinking about filling the void with expanding foam then carving out a cavity for the guitar.

Sounds like a lot of work. You might consider using that bead stuff they use to make custom-fit racing seats in a garbage bag. It fits well with the carbon fiber theme, too.

• Members

it may not be as resistant to impact as plastic or metal but mostly im going for the stiffness and light weight capabilities. im not trying to build "the perfect case" just want to try to see if i can make one with carbon fiber.
:idk:
also it will be more than one layer of cloth. well see how it is once it is completed.

I would suggest changing the direction you lay the cloth from one layer to the next.

• Members

:thu:
definitely plan on adding bracing a neck support. i will most likely leave the styrofoam in. thinking about filling the void with expanding foam then carving out a cavity for the guitar. probably add some less rigid foam on the lid and around the guitar. then ill cover it with velvet or something. thanks for the tips!

couldn't you get some plastic and wrap the guitar up good & tight with some more duct tape - full the case w/ the expanding foam - drop the bass in - and just trim it enough to get the bass out? doesn't get much more form fitting than that. .

• Members

couldn't you get some plastic and wrap the guitar up good & tight with some more duct tape - full the case w/ the expanding foam - drop the bass in - and just trim it enough to get the bass out? doesn't get much more form fitting than that. .

i thought of doing this but i decided not to since i wanna use this case for all my basses and i want storage space inside. my SG bass isnt gonna fit in the outline of a P-bass. maybe for my next case though, since it would be really secure :thu:

no progress for tonight guys. my better half is here and were hittin the liberation day carnaval tonight! probably gonna involve some under-age drinking since they just raised the drinking age yesterday and now im illegal for two months:mad::mad::mad:

Archived