rant about certain stereotypes about styles of music associated with guitars

snowaie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow!!! That was awesome playing, very versatile. Way, way better to listen to than some old man playing chicken-picken, blues, country, or {censored}ee (?). I am in awe of your talent, and am thinking of forming a religion based around your playing skills.

• Members

Wow!!! That was awesome playing, very versatile. Way, way better to listen to than some old man playing chicken-picken, blues, country, or {censored}ee (?). I am in awe of your talent, and am thinking of forming a religion based around your playing skills.

ouch! Who is that? Is it a joke intentionally?

• Members
I was just saying that when i was looking at some demos of the classic vibe tele when i was thinking of purchasing one, it came up with the stereotypes thw tele usually gets, which i was the ones i wouldnt use my tele for, and trying to find a vid that had my purpose was unfound on the whole first 15 videos, and people may find that using a guitar for other types of music than the one the stereotypes go to may sound good.

Oh ok, this explains everything!

:confused:

• Members

I know a blues slide player who brings out an old pink EVH-style Kramer to jams rather than risk his very lovely Burns guitars.

I can't help but think there's a guy with poodle-hair somewhere in southern California widdling out on a Dobro and wondering what went wrong :D

• Members
I know a blues slide player who brings out an old pink EVH-style Kramer to jams rather than risk his very lovely Burns guitars.

I can't help but think there's a guy with poodle-hair somewhere in southern California widdling out on a Dobro and wondering what went wrong
:D

Our very own CSM uses an Ibanez Destroyer for slide....

:thu:

• Members

Does anyone know where I can get tabs for this masterpiece?

• Members

I suppose youtube represents, roughly, the community of guitarists who use a guitar for a particular genre of music in which they are interested. Since, for some reason, lots of country players use teles, it's probably not surprising to see lots of 'em on youtube.

As for blues, there is a veritable surfeit of pentatonic on the tube, so yes, difficult to avoid that (perhaps not always very imaginative blues) too.

I think it best to avoid youtube demos of gear in general - any old bastard could be putting stuff up and you can't really get a good idea about an instrument just like that.

• Members

All flogging of the OP aside, I think guitar stereotypes are based in some sort of reality. Teles make for good country picker guitars because of the twang and the utilitarian looks. Shredders tend to lean towards Floyded Superstrats, metalheads to pointy guitars with EMG's, jazzers to hollowbodies, etc. These guitars, over the years, have proven to be good tools for those particular genres, due to sound, looks, features, playability, etc.

But stereotypes are there to be broken, and plenty of people buck trends, enough that I don't even think of the Tele as a country guitar. Guys like The Edge, Jonny Greenwood, Andy Summers, Matt Bellamy, Pete Townsend, and Keith Richards showed that it could do much more, especially if you mod it a bit. Anymore, you see a lot of nu-country players, they're playing an LP or a PRS, or some boutiquey guitar, not a Tele or a Gretsch. One of my best friends, a very versatile and killer player, plays Ibanez Jems and Presitges no matter if he's playing country, blues, metal, prog, whatever. They're just comfortable to him and he can make them work.

But I don't think you can blame people for playing it safe either, especially when they're starting out, going with something their heroes play, a tool they know will do the job they're setting out to learn.

Archived