rant about certain stereotypes about styles of music associated with guitars

snowaie

• Members

Do you not get how completely self centered you sound? No one owes you videos of what you're looking for, and if people who like chicken pickin and old man blues also buy tele's, more power to them. I don't see people playing a lot of country with RG's either, but I'm wouldn't rant about not finding videos of it.

shut the {censored} up man. no {censored} no one does, of course. but it seems to me many people are ignorant that the guitar can be played on other genres of music, and it sounds good. you obviously don't {censored}ing get it.

to metalheaduk:

that was sick, man! thanks!

and to everyone:

i'm not really looking for a vid. this was not a big thing on my mind just something i realized..

to anyone who gives:

[YOUTUBE]v5-mJ7IENq4[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some of you guys really need to {censored}in relax, damn. I was just saying that when i was looking at some demos of the classic vibe tele when i was thinking of purchasing one, it came up with the stereotypes thw tele usually gets, which i was the ones i wouldnt use my tele for, and trying to find a vid that had my purpose was unfound on the whole first 15 videos, and people may find that using a guitar for other types of music than the one the stereotypes go to may sound good. damn, no troll here {censored}

Everybody's relaxed. We're just pointing out that you need to learn to -

A. form a sentence.

B. do research.

• Members

Everybody's relaxed. We're just pointing out that you need to learn to -

A. form a sentence.

B. do research.

which were neither of my points, or many of the others points they were trying to make?

• Members

shut the {censored} up man. no {censored} no one does, of course. but it seems to me many people are ignorant that the guitar can be played on other genres of music, and it sounds good. you obviously don't {censored}ing get it.

You're the dip{censored} that doesn't get it. You've got some of the most ass backwards, self centered reasoning I've ever seen. Your evidence for saying that "many people are ignorant that the guitar can be played on other genres of music" is that you find lots of people playing country and old man blues. Maybe they know you can play teh brootz on a tele, but they {censored}ing like to play country. Did that thought ever cross your mind? All because people aren't playing the kind of music you like on the instrument you wanted to see it played on. Get over yourself.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

• Members

which were neither of my points, or many of the others points they were trying to make?

{censored}e of which the points were too trying to make for, on what steretypes mono {censored} {censored}, were going to for of the Telecasters {censored}e, but looking like we going for until {censored}, and when the understands happen gone along with pisser, {censored}?

• Members

:confused:
WTF are you trying to say here?

Did you ever think to get your ass out from in front of the computer and go to a music store and try playing some whatever it is you play with a tele? Or to ask around here for clips first? Or do some actual research on who plays Telecasters and look for recordings of them? Of course not. Youtube didn't hand you the answers you were looking for, so you came to rant about it here.
:facepalm:

He saying " I fail because I'm a teenage idiot".

• Members

Damn, harshness. To the OP, I think I can dig what you were trying to say... That you think it's retarded when someone bases the kind of guitar they want to purchase on the genre of music they are going to play with it.

On, the surface, that does sound silly, but it kind of makes sense in a way. Guitars are mere tools. And the look, feel, and sound of a guitar does contribute to how you play that guitar. Picking up a Tele, you can develop an understanding of why country guys love them so much and why certain styles of playing developed around that guitar. That isn't to say that you can't use a Tele to play some other genre, or that you can't play country on something other than a Tele.

Hell, I've done straight-ahead jazz gigs on a Danelectro through an AC30 even though I own a big archtop and a Fender Twin.

• Members

In all fairness, guitars do tend to get classified by what ever style is deemed appropriate to the model in question.

Big semis,hollow bodies, trapeze tailpieces and floating pickups- Jazz, LP's -classic rock, Teles - Country, Ibanez- Shred, Fender offsets- Indie, Gretsch semi hollows for Rockabilly etc etc.

Just another example of the narrow mindedness that seems to exist in a lot of guitar players.

Lets be honest, with a decent modern guitar of good quality, you can pretty much do anything..I just think guitarists tend to project personalities onto their tools which have more to do with emotional and psychological concerns than in the actual ability of the instrument to do the job.

:thu:

• Members

There's a certain truth to those stereotypes though-

ES335/337's do make GREAT jazz guitars, clean warms. Yes you can use a Tele for Jazz, and slap enough FX on them and they will sound ALMOST as good. Tele's have a certain twang to them that makes them the ultimate springsteen/country guitars.. I used to own one and dumped it because of it's lack of diversity-

I LIKE when players think outside of the box, like when Alex Lifeson played heavy rock on a 335 and jazz chorus amp, and when page played hard rock on the Tele- Or when some zany nobody uses Kramer guitars to play indie cleans and light crunch on..

but these are the exceptions to the rules, and doesn't necessarily change the rules...

• Members

Damn, harshness. To the OP, I think I can dig what you were trying to say... That you think it's retarded when someone bases the kind of guitar they want to purchase on the genre of music they are going to play with it.

On, the surface, that does sound silly, but it kind of makes sense in a way. Guitars are mere tools. And the look, feel, and sound of a guitar does contribute to how you play that guitar. Picking up a Tele, you can develop an understanding of why country guys love them so much and why certain styles of playing developed around that guitar. That isn't to say that you can't use a Tele to play some other genre, or that you can't play country on something other than a Tele.

Hell, I've done straight-ahead jazz gigs on a Danelectro through an AC30 even though I own a big archtop and a Fender Twin.

Thanks for agreeing, and showing your side and opinion. I realize it sounds contrary, and what-not, but yeah this is what I'm saying.

• Members

In all fairness, guitars do tend to get classified by what ever style is deemed appropriate to the model in question.

Big semis,hollow bodies, trapeze tailpieces and floating pickups- Jazz, LP's -classic rock, Teles - Country, Ibanez- Shred, Fender offsets- Indie, Gretsch semi hollows for Rockabilly etc etc.

Just another example of the narrow mindedness that seems to exist in a lot of guitar players.

Lets be honest, with a decent modern guitar of good quality, you can pretty much do anything..I just think guitarists tend to project personalities onto their tools which have more to do with emotional and psychological concerns than in the actual ability of the instrument to do the job.

:thu:

Good post, dude.

• Members

There's a certain truth to those stereotypes though-

ES335/337's do make GREAT jazz guitars, clean warms. Yes you can use a Tele for Jazz, and slap enough FX on them and they will sound ALMOST as good. Tele's have a certain twang to them that makes them the ultimate springsteen/country guitars.. I used to own one and dumped it because of it's lack of diversity-

I LIKE when players think outside of the box, like when Alex Lifeson played heavy rock on a 335 and jazz chorus amp, and when page played hard rock on the Tele- Or when some zany nobody uses Kramer guitars to play indie cleans and light crunch on..

but these are the exceptions to the rules, and doesn't necessarily change the rules...

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that there are "rules", but certain guitars excel in certain genres. That doesn't mean you can't use them for other genres, but you also can't slag people for using them for what they do really really well, or the people who choose a thin neck, 16in radius, 24 fret guitar with great upper fret access to play metal on, instead of a tele.

• Members

your post appears to just be a poorly disguised backhanded slam against music that you don't like. Doesn't that seem a tad narrowminded?

nope, it's not really "disguised backhanded slam against music I don't like". sorry.

nice halfassed assumption, though :thu:

• Members

so, in your own words, you are showing respect to these genres with your words?

all it is, is chickinpickin' {censored} and country, clean, old man bluez and {censored}eee. I'm going to use my tele for a {censored}in' versatile guitar, and not just that {censored}e..

• Members

I don't understand how saying "I wish people didn't exclusively associate certain guitars with certain musical genres" makes you sound selfish, whiny or idiotic. Believe me, snowaie, you've got a legitimate concern. Some people need to get off their {censored}ing high horses of anonymous internet judgementalism.

• Members
I don't understand how saying "I wish people didn't exclusively associate certain guitars with certain musical genres" makes you sound selfish, whiny or idiotic. Believe me, snowaie, you've got a legitimate concern. Some people need to get off their {censored}ing high horses of anonymous internet judgementalism.

really, don't you think that the main issue was the lack of respect for genres he doesn't personally care for?

• Members

Thanks for the comment, dude. I agree dude..but {censored} it if they don't understand. Thanks for agreeing, though.

• Members

I can empathize with the poster's point about the overt country bias in the Tele community; hell, I pretty much stopped logging on to TDPRI for just this reason. However it's kind of tough to rationalize his distaste for stereotyping when he turns around and admonishes "old men" in his initial and subsequent posts...

• Members

You honestly read his post and that's what you got out of it? Really? Let's start with the first sentence, or what I guess passes for a sentence:

"If I'm trying to look for a demo of a tele on youtube..all it is, is chickinpickin' {censored} and country, clean, old man bluez and {censored}eee."

There's nothing selfish, whiny or idiotic in that?

It's kind of sad how a lot of people base around the guitar they get around the stereotype the guitar goes with the music it associates to.

Now take the first sentence like thing and put it together with this sentence like thing (that will certianly make your head explode if you try and make sense of it) and you get "I wish people didn't exclusively associate certain guitars with certain musical genres"?

That's funny, because I get "I look at youtube for a video of a guitar I wanted and all I see is people playing this crappy music I don't want to play. Why can't they play the music I like so I don't have to watch them play this crap".

Archived