Octave Pedal Question

darkone15

• Members

I have never heard an octave pedal sound exactly, or even close to a bass. You cannot get that sound without the extended scale and huge strings.

Also you will hate the tone of your amp if you try to go low enough for a quasi-bass tone with guitar speakers.

• Members

Try and find one used on craigslist or the spam thread (try the fx forum spam thread), and give it a shot. While it may not sound exactly like a bass "should" sound, you may find a voice that fits you and most of all, the music.

May take some tweaking, but who knows, it may open up something new for you.

• Members

I have a Micro POG. I use it for home recording bass. It sounds good enough through a Peavey Duce. I would recommend a powerful amp with at least 2X12. These track better than any octave pedal I've ever heard. I get that cool organ sound by adding a little vibrato pedal. Also cool 12 string. Here is a link to some stuff I've recorded with the POG playing bass.
http://www.myspace.com/galensbrightideas

• Members

You'll never get a true bass sound from a modeling pedal like the POG, however you would be able to add a sub octave to your guitar and make that sound good. It's no substitute for an actual bassist but it would thicken up the sound of your band and give you that low end you're missing. I use my PS-5 for that sometimes at practice.

• Members

I got a decent "bass effect" running my clean guitar signal into a Boss OC-3 and then out to a bass amp. The OC-2 absolutely couldn't track the original notes accurately enough for this purpose, nor could the other similarly-priced stompboxes I tried. The main issue I had was that I was playing this to accompany very specific parts of songs along with a distorted guitar, and that meant playing with the bridge pickup, which - if high enough output - would "overdrive" the OC-3 in a way that interfered with the tracking.

If you had a relatively low-output pickup, possibly with a separate EQ, it might work out. But it'd probably be less expensive to get a bass.

Archived