So I need a good, small, low-wattage, clean amp for my band to mic up to our PA

snowaie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a VCXD and like it a lot, I don't use much amp gain myself and rely on my TS9 and Fuz pedal for dirt...
...but for jamming w/ a drummer (even miked) i really dig a 12" speaker.

I bought a 1x12 Epiphone Valve Senior and LOVE it! It's my "poor man's Deluxe Reverb", lol. They are a bit hard to find, but worth every penny if you are a pedal guy and don't need marshall type overdrive.

Honestly, idk why epiphone doesn't crank these things out; absolute phenomenal amp for the money (~$350); check them out.

Speed

• Members

I say hit ebay find a nice priced fender silverface champ (or silverface line there are many of them and they go for some pretty good prices). Throw a Holy Grail reverb pedal on it if you need the reverb. I don't think it gets much better than that. It has a low gain input & a high gain input. I love mine and will never part with it unless serious unforseen circumstances arise. There are a lot of good small wattage amps out there too.

I personally have Fender Silverface Vibro-Champ. 6 watts of classic fender tones. It will also take pedals pretty well, if that is part of your rig. But you just might find it is versatile enough for your needs and not to mention the mojo factor. I believe you could pull the underpants right off a girl five rows deep with it.

Good Luck. :thu:

Tom

• Members

Vox AC4TV 10" Speaker

Vox AC4TV 8" Speaker

I have the 8" version and it's amazing out of the box and simply stunning with a tube swap. The awesome thing is that you can get some pretty good crunch out of the thing, too. It's very controllable if you use your guitar's volume.

However, what I've been doing lately is setting it up to be on the verge of breakup (and it does crunch a bit if I pound the strings) and then I have a MXR Classic Overdrive, a BBE American Metal pedal, and an MXR 10-band EQ in front of it for different flavors.

• Members
Vox AC4TV 10" Speaker

Vox AC4TV 8" Speaker

I have the 8" version and it's amazing out of the box and simply stunning with a tube swap. The awesome thing is that you can get some pretty good crunch out of the thing, too. It's very controllable if you use your guitar's volume.

However, what I've been doing lately is setting it up to be on the verge of breakup (and it does crunch a bit if I pound the strings) and then I have a MXR Classic Overdrive, a BBE American Metal pedal, and an MXR 10-band EQ in front of it for different flavors.

this would be perfect in a 15ish(w) version.

I'm excited for my next trip to GC . Going to try out the Bugera V22, Fender PRRI, DRRI, SCXD, some Crate models, maybe Roland..

Anything else :)?

• Members

I like the SCXD but run it to a bigger cab most of the time (when gigging), you can cover a good sized room with those 15w thru 2x12 I have found (mostly small gin joints, rarely miked up, but the do sound good that way too) and takes pedals well. Still in the honeymoon phase with the Class 5 too (although very little cleans on that).

• Members

^^ AWESOME! So looking into those.! Anyone like/know about those amps?

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's been helpful.

The Tech 21 Trademark 60 kicks some serious ass (IMO). Fantastic amp. It's extremely close to a tube sound without using any digital modelling or anything, all analog. Plus, the only time you'll ever need to service it is to clean out the jacks every once in a while w/contact cleaner (I personally haven't even had to do that).

• Members

Great options in the thread so far. I play with a guy uses the XD to great effect. Nice amp.

However, I am going to throw in the Jet City 20H or 20RC. I use the 20H into a 12" just as you describe. I love the basic sound of the amp and use pedals for whatever else I need.

• Members

I'd much prefer a small 2-channel tube amp for cleans and main overdrive tones to having to use a pedal, especially for my main rhythm crunch.

I'd prefer one main clean channel on an amp, then use my pedal for my distortion.

• Members
I'd prefer one main clean channel on an amp, then use my pedal for my distortion.

evidently. I've never found a pedal, regardless of price, that could actually create a great rhythm overdrive like a good amp can. They are great for adding-to/seasoning an already created tone though.

• Members
evidently. I've never found a pedal, regardless of price, that could actually create a great rhythm overdrive like a good amp can. They are great for adding-to/seasoning an already created tone though.

Played through a Fender DRRI.
[YOUTUBE]toagqd0508A[/YOUTUBE]
:idk:

EDIT:
[YOUTUBE]fohcJ_MjgNk[/YOUTUBE]
:idk:

Archived