Guild Bluesbird?

docjeffrey

• Members

Wonderful guitars.....Bigger than a Paul.....Overbuilt for long life....sound AMAZING when broken in....

I have owned and stupidly sold two Starfires; most recently, I sold one a few months back to pay for some car repairs. I started shopping for another one and came across the Bluesbird.

I'm also looking at this Nighthawk. They just went up $250 :mad::mad:

021890641_lg1.jpg

• Members

The version of Bluesbird DeArmond is a different body style and the guitar other than that I played, even if the review reads as if it is too beautiful guitar. I know that the version I played was against the United States in two or Guild Fender factory (not sure, maybe both, depending made years). I think the version DeArmond is an import, but you do not know where.

Yeah, the better DeArmonds were made in Korea and they are actually very nice guitars. I sold one of those too--a Starfire. Go figure.

The Guild branded electrics were made in the USA.

• Members

It's the "Blues 90" version with the fat neck. True Bluesbirds had humbuckers.

Beat me to it. The P-90 version is technically a Guild "Blues 90."

I had a chance to pick up a consignment Bluesbird for 5 Bemjamins even, about a decade ago, but I was flat as a floogie. One that got away.

• Members

Anyone ever deal with Gruhn before...via web or phone?

i sold george a 1959 ES 355 TDSV....but that was back in 1976....he has a very nice collection....but the prices tend to reflect that......the one really good thing about Gruhn's is that if he says it's a (fill in date of instrument)....then THAT's what it is.....there's no guessing....he (and his guys) are THE most knowlegable people on vintage equipment.....often Gibson and Fender defer to Gruhn for authentication of vintage instruments....but that kind of knowledge and ability to trust what they say....has a price. i'm just sayin'

• Members

Anyone ever deal with Gruhn before...via web or phone?

Talked with him via phone before. Opinionated, sure, but honest as the day is long about what he knows. His prices are higher, but reflect his near half-century of experience in what were once called "old guitars."

If a Bluesbird is what you're looking at, Gruhn knows it cold. He and Kim Walker designed the Nightbird GG, the predecessor to the last version of the Bluesbird. He was also a shareholder in Guild at one point, and also designed the Songbird and some true acoustics.

I'm fairly well versed in Nightbirds myself, having owned a few, incluindig an extremely early one, and done a fair amout of research.

• Members

Talked with him via phone before. Opinionated, sure, but honest as the day is long about what he knows. His prices are higher, but reflect his near half-century of experience in what were once called "old guitars."

If a Bluesbird is what you're looking at, Gruhn knows it cold. He and Kim Walker designed the Nightbird
GG
, the predecessor to the last version of the Bluesbird. He was also a shareholder in Guild at one point, and also designed the Songbird and some true acoustics.

I'm fairly well versed in Nightbirds myself, having owned a few, incluindig an extremely early one, and done a fair amout of research.

Lately, used prices at dealers like Gruhn, Elderly, and Wildwood have been much better than what I'm seeing in the online auction sites.

Archived