GASing for a 12 string....

NinjaModder

• Members

I just watched a few episodes of the Monkees and now I am wanting a 12 string electric. I am tied between a Danelectro or an Agile.

Now money is a problem due to college coming up and the need of books I can't spend a whole lot. I just bought a bobkat body and such for a build so I can't really spend a whole lot.

I have been thinking about selling my Teiscos. I like them but its nothing that my Epiphone or Strat can't do. The bass I don't play and I just like it for looks. But I rarely play any of these. The only time I do is when I am at a friends because I am afraid of bringing the more expensive non beat up ones. But I have a nice strat copy for that. Now I figured I can sell my Teiscos (I have 3, 2 hollow bodies and a bass) that are all in pretty good condition for 300-400 dollars. Maybe? I bought them for about that much so yeah.

Now do I go for an agile or danelectro?

• Members

Love my Danelectro.

Dano.jpg

Oh... My... GOD!

IS THAT A NEWER ONE!?

The only ones I see new are black and red. I would KILL for that.

A few days ago I changed my mind and wanted to keep my Teiscos because I thought they were cool. After playing my Strat and Epiphone Dot a lot I finally realized that they aren't all that great. I love them but it is nothing that I can't get out of my other guitars. And the bass I love but I prefer my jazz bass and Viola bass over it. So I think I will sell them.

Now I have no way to play the Agile Harm 12 string which I think looks wonderful. But I believe my guitar center has the Danelectro 12 string.

Is there any other ones out there? Anyone play the Agile?

• Members

Love my Danelectro.

Dano.jpg

That's one of the 1990's era reissues; I have one in that exact same colour . . . minus the mini amp.

If you can find one (they came in sparkle finishes), snap it up. The newer RI's aren't bad but the first round was much better.

And yes, Danelectro 12-strings are the better choice. They get 3/4 of a Rickenbacker sound for less than a 1/3 of the price. And those lipstick pickups are amazing.

• Members

That's one of the 1990's era reissues; I have one in that exact same colour . . . minus the mini amp.

If you can find one (they came in sparkle finishes), snap it up. The newer RI's aren't bad but the first round was much better.

And yes, Danelectro 12-strings are the better choice. They get 3/4 of a Rickenbacker sound for less than a 1/3 of the price. And those lipstick pickups are amazing.

I wasn't going to get a ric but maybe an Agile. Danos look nice but they are made of plywood I think. The newer ones I do like. But I'll just see. If I find a blue sparkle one I'll buy it. If not than maybe Agile.

• Members

I wasn't going to get a ric but maybe an Agile. Danos look nice but they are made of plywood I think. The newer ones I do like. But I'll just see. If I find a blue sparkle one I'll buy it. If not than maybe Agile.

Danos are a classic example of cheap components coming together in an amazing way. The fully hollow bodies are Masonite and pine while the pickups were made with lipstick tubes. However, the resulting guitar simply rocks. It'll jingle-jangle Mr. Tambourine Man's socks off but gets nasty when you add distortion.

BTW, lipsticks are my #1 choice for 12-string electric. The underwound pickups give it an airy, almost acoustic, tone but maintain that gorgeous lacy high end that the octave strings give you.

With Agiles you'll immediately need to replace the electronics. My Danelectro is completely stock and it sounds incredible that way.

Can you tell I'm a Danelectro fan? ;):p

• Members

Danos are a classic example of cheap components coming together in an amazing way. The fully hollow bodies are
Masonite
and pine while the pickups were made with lipstick tubes. However, the resulting guitar simply rocks. It'll jingle-jangle Mr. Tambourine Man's socks off but gets nasty when you add distortion.

BTW, lipsticks are my #1 choice for 12-string electric. The underwound pickups give it an airy, almost acoustic, tone but maintain that gorgeous lacy high end that the octave strings give you.

With Agiles you'll immediately need to replace the electronics. My Danelectro is completely stock and it sounds incredible that way.

Can you tell I'm a Danelectro fan?
;):p

Hand crafted Brazilian Masonite!

Archived