Anyone else dig Warren DeMartini (of RATT) solo tone?

maltomario

• Members

Hey Maltomario, there is a pretty good Axe-FX patch on the Axe-Change for DeMartini. It's not perfect, but it gets you in the ball park really quickly and with a few tweaks for your guitar you could probably dial it in fast.

It's in Bank D and is called
Shannon's DeMartini

I thought axe-change.net got shut down? no? Do you have a weblink? I'd like to browse through some new patches when i get some downtime..

EDIT: found it. was inside the axe-edit tool (which I have just finally gotten around to installing)..

• Members

Dammit you have show some pics of a Charvel...right after I passed up a $550 like new San Dimas...
:facepalm:

dude. facepalm is right. wtf is wrong with you? =)

seriously go buy it for $550. then come back here to thank me!

• Members

WDM and Lynch are great. My friend has all 3 guitars and says they are all great. I am saving up for one, I kinda like the bomber and the snakeskin.

His new RTM pickup is suppose to be a slightly hotter JB. The new disc is great and Carlos does a good job of filling Robbin's shoes.

• Members

Out of the Cellar was really their epic in my opinion. I was pretty disappointed when Invasion came out. Really thought lay it down was the best thing on it.

Warren is amazing. There are some great lesser known tracks on out of the cellar like this one..

[YOUTUBE]7vSV5k7pttU&[/YOUTUBE]

and this..

[YOUTUBE]5hsCr_LfcWw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

WDM and Lynch are great. My friend has all 3 guitars and says they are all great. I am saving up for one, I kinda like the bomber and the snakeskin.

His new RTM pickup is suppose to be a slightly hotter JB. The new disc is great and Carlos does a good job of filling Robbin's shoes.

I'll post a few pics of the family tonight if I remember. Awesome fiddles for sure. WDM could shred like a mother, but could dial it back too and get some super tasty soulful tones too. I loved his stuff on the later Rattle CDs - the super chimy stuff. TONE.

• Members

I thought axe-change.net got shut down? no? Do you have a weblink? I'd like to browse through some new patches when i get some downtime..

EDIT: found it. was inside the axe-edit tool (which I have just finally gotten around to installing)..

Don't feel bad it took me about 3 days to figure out how to use the damn thing with Axe-Change. Didn't realize I had to download the bank to preview them. :facepalm:

I don't like the layout that much, but it works pretty well now that I know what I am doing.

• Members

i think Cavazo plays better than Crosby ever did. Crosby was pretty average. Although he was a big part of the RATT sound

• Members

He's one of my fav's and tied with Lynch for that eras goto Metal lead tones.

His touch on the guitar is kinda unique and on a lot of early stuff its evident he was a step above many others.

I also contribute part of his early success to Robin's incredible rhythm and second lead work which still Imo are some of the tastiest hard guitar riffs around ala Wanted Man,Lay it Down,Your in Love,etc....

BTw the first Ratt was recorded with Robin using Marshalls and Warren using Laneys and the 2 compliment quite nicely.

• Members

It's gone...like the job you could have had and the girl you could have nailed....

Got to hate those frickin memories....:lol: I thought that I was the only dumbass with morals in my youth that came back to haunt me.

• Members

Listened to the Ratt cd this morning while I was out getting coffee -- CLASSIC WDM solo on "Little Too Much" - the last half of the solo reminds me ALOT of the solo on "Nobody Rides For Free".

• Members

BTw the first Ratt was recorded with Robin using Marshalls and Warren using Laneys and the 2 compliment quite nicely.

Seems like I rcall them saying in an interview in GFTPM magazine at the time that they both had to use the same Marshall amp on the first album. I still have all those magazines stored away. Will see if I can find it.

• Members

Seems like I rcall them saying in an interview in GFTPM magazine at the time that they both had to use the same Marshall amp on the first album. I still have all those magazines stored away. Will see if I can find it.

Found it - Guitar For The Practicing Musician Dec 1985 issue:

Robbin Crosby: "This time (Invasion) we had the luxury of going through a lot of old Marshall amps and finding some choice ones. For the guitars on Celllar we used one JVM800 head and both of us used it for most of the tracks. It went through an old Orange bottom that didn't have a lot of personality. This time Warren and I used totally different setups."

• Members

Found it - Guitar For The Practicing Musician Dec 1985 issue:

Robbin Crosby: "This time (Invasion) we had the luxury of going through a lot of old Marshall amps and finding some choice ones. For the guitars on
Celllar
we used one JVM800 head and both of us used it for most of the tracks. It went through an old Orange bottom that didn't have a lot of personality. This time Warren and I used totally different setups."

He said for most of the tracks so then I assume only a few recorded tracks were Laney then.

Funny those early pre cellar Ratt vids live show Warren playing through Pro tubes and sounding dead on too the recorded tones.

Thats cool you have all those old Mags Ive only a few choice ones left myself.

• Members

He said for most of the tracks so then I assume only a few recorded tracks were Laney then.

Funny those early pre cellar Ratt vids live show Warren playing through Pro tubes and sounding dead on too the recorded tones.

In the Dec 84 issue, back when they were touring for Cellar, the interview says they were both touring with Laney Pro II heads. Robbin was using Laney cabs and Warren was using Orange cabs.

Then in the 85 issue I quoted Warren says he bought something like 17 amps but hadn't had a chance to go through them all. Guess they got some royalty checks!

Thats cool you have all those old Mags Ive only a few choice ones left myself.

I want to get them all scanned as some of them are in pretty bad shape from being used so much in my youth. Plus my wife would like the space their being stored in for other things. I have almost an entire decade of that magazine in boxes in a closet.

Archived