Anyone else dig Warren DeMartini (of RATT) solo tone?

maltomario

• Members

I've been listening to some older RATT stuff... Warren DeMartini.

all 80's hairstyles/wardrobe jokes aside, He's got some great tone in some of his solos. One that comes to mind is the lead to "givin yourself away". specifically starting at 3:12 and ending around 3:30

[YOUTUBE]1K7jdyfi70M[/YOUTUBE]

anyone know what neck pickup he uses (used?) in that era?

• Members

He used Duncan JBs. Most, if not all, his guitars were single HBs.

Given how popular his Charvel re-issues are (well, not HIS, per se), I'd say a lot of people like him! I'm certainly a RATT fanboy from that era. not crazy, but their first two albums are chock full of great songs. I'd love to have one of the DiMartini strats.

Warren-Demartini-Charvel-Group.jpg

• Members

Anyone else dig Warren DeMartini (of RATT) solo tone?

YES! he's an amazing guitarist, shame they as a band didn't try and push themselves to write more interesting songs after "Out Of The Cellar". i read somwhere that he used metal picks, gauge 11 strings, i think later on he had a seymour dunvan vintage rails or vintage stack at the neck and usually used a JB at the bridge. not sure about all of that. i was surprised he used gauge 11s. it just sounds like 9s to me, but then i think they tuned down half a step

• Members

Even the kids have this grudging respect for 80s music...honestly, it was the gold standard for rock...I am just starting to move from classic rock into the 80s stuff..., and you know...when I play out, blues bar gig crap... that's one thing...when I get home, and take a down tuned axis off the wall, dime the Marshall...I literally pass up sex to play into the night...

I still think 'Nobody Rides for Free' is one of the best all around 80s song, and the solo is really great....

• Members

Kind of a funny thread to bring up. I've been jamming to Lay it Down and Round and Round all last week. Got most of the solo for Lay it Down figured out, but Round and Round is strictly rhythm at this point; I get lost pretty fast when the solo kicks in.

I was a huge fan back when they first came out and then it became all about Metallica and {censored} so I lost interest. I have to agree that Nobody Rides for Free is one of the best songs of that era that nobody remembers.

And I do believe that just about every song is tuned down half a step except when they used dropped D.

• Members

He has great tone and chops. I got the new Ratt cd when it was released recently, and both he and Carlos tear it up. Fantastic guitar work.

For me, his tone and playing was unbeatable on Invasion of Your Privacy. I've used that cd as a reference when trying to dial in guitar tones.

• Members

Hey Maltomario, there is a pretty good Axe-FX patch on the Axe-Change for DeMartini. It's not perfect, but it gets you in the ball park really quickly and with a few tweaks for your guitar you could probably dial it in fast.

It's in Bank D and is called Shannon's DeMartini.

Archived