Air Norton De-Air Mod Question

ZeroCool7

• Members

I just did the Tone Zone air-mod and it sounds fantastic! Now I'd like to de-air my dimarzio air norton. Do I just place the magnet against the screw poles or do I have to re install a metal spacer on the screw poles like the Tone Zone ??

THX

• Members

I just did the Tone Zone
air-mod
and it sounds fantastic! Now I'd like to
de-air
my dimarzio air norton. Do I just place the magnet against the screw poles or do I have to re install a metal spacer on the screw poles like the Tone Zone ??

THX

[YOUTUBE]v17lMr0j2D8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

LoL!

I'll clarify a bit. Airbucker technology from Dimarzio keeps the pickups' magnet from touching the poles in there "Air" pups using rubber spacers. The Tone Zone Half-Air Mod involves :

1] Remove baseplate

2] Remove metal bar attached to screw poles

3] Move the magnet so it touches the screw poles only

this leaves only the slugs "air'd". The screw poles are stronger while the slugs are weaker. This lowers output a bit, clears up some of the bass, gives a bit of that single coil quack/snap. Not fully air'd like an Air Zone, but rather something in between the Air Zone & Tone Zone thus 'half-air mod". Basically sounding very similar to the EBMM EVH/Axis bridge pickup.

So if i were to do the opposite to an Air Norton, would it makes sense to have the magnet touch the screw pole pieces like the Tone Zone mod? or would it involve adding something else to the screw pole pieces?

• Members

I just did the Tone Zone
air-mod
and it sounds fantastic! Now I'd like to
de-air
my dimarzio air norton. Do I just place the magnet against the screw poles or do I have to re install a metal spacer on the screw poles like the Tone Zone ??

THX

Have you taken it apart?

DiMarzio may have a proprietary setup to space everything out. But I figure once you get in there, you'll spot what you have to do.

Archived