So who out there runs a modeler into a powered PA speaker? Anybody?

NHLfan2010

• Members

I have a 1950s Bogen PA, hand wired tube, and I run straight into that with all of my guitars. I don't use a modeler, instead I have a combination of effects to get where I need to be very cleanly. I use a six band EQ, a lexicon reverb unit, some EHX tube pedals, etc. I've been doing a lot of amp shopping and it's going to be very expensive to reproduce the sound I like it seems like since my PA broke down this week. An AC 15 would probably be at the top of my list I had the cash.

• Members

Take a trip over here and you'll come across an entire community that does it with the Axe-FX.

There are various methods to it and Fractal even has the Atomic line of amps that are designed for the Axe-FX specifically, but it's an FRFR type setup for the most part.

• Members

Yup, Axe-FX Ultra into a DB Technologies Opera 412 floor wedge.

Pros:

Complete solid state setup, no maintenance required.
Sounds amazing, way better than it did with my Mesa 2x12.
Speakers are angled towards me as opposed to pointing to my feet, this makes a huge difference.
A lot lighter than my Mesa Boogie 2x12.
Can also plug my bass and acoustics into it.

Cons:

Doesn't look as cool as my Mesa 2x12.

• Members

Take a trip over
and you'll come across an entire community that does it with the Axe-FX.

There are various methods to it and Fractal even has the Atomic line of amps that are designed for the Axe-FX specifically, but it's an FRFR type setup for the most part.

Wow, thats expensive!

• Members

The Tech21 Power Engine series guitar amps are designed just for modelers
and emulators. They sound much better than plugging into a typical floor
monitor setup or small PA due to the fact the speaker is specially voiced just
for modelers and emulators. The result is real guitar amp sound with a fairly
light powered enclosure.

Price is very reasonable for these and they are built well. Versions available
are 60 and 120 watts. They've been around for a while, so this is a
time-tested design. All the controls are what you see on the back of the
chassis.

569323.jpg569320.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Power-Engine-60?sku=600454

• Members

Wow, thats expensive!

I thought so too until I broke it down. I won't get into a frickin 12000 word essay because I am long winded as hell, but if you take a look at everything that you get inside of that little box and compare it to what you get from other companies and add the fact that there are new models and effects being added every couple of months it's extremely cheap.

Take a look here and see exactly what you are getting with the Axe-FX. You would spend the same amount of money on ONE of those amps and maybe an effects pedal or two. And you get 55 amps, a ton of cabinets (and you can add your own with custom IR's), a boatload of effects and you can program up to 384 presets configured how you want and control it all from a single pedal board and some exression pedals. You can also download other people's presets pretty easily.

So this is going longer than I planned...

But the last thing and probably biggest deciding factor for me was that while other companies sell a product and it may be pretty good there are almost always bugs in them these days. They usually invest some time trying to get patches out the first year, but more often than not all of the R&D money is invested in next year's product. I've bought more crap that never worked as well as advertised because they just pulled the plug on it and that's unacceptable.

I refuse to buy another complete box that may or may not work right. The Axe-FX is a proven product, has first rate components and they aren't building an Axe-FX II; this is it and all development and support goes into the Axe-FX. It's been around long enough to where I can't find a bug in it.

It's the single best investment I've ever made in terms of gear. That doesn't mean that it's for everyone though. It makes me smile when I play it and that's all I can ask for.

Archived