Is Country music a vile horrible thing that should be removed from the Earth?

Oaksong

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you see it that way then, not only have you illustrated my initial point, but frankly it is your problem:thu:

Really?

From another thread:

"nothing wrong with Squiers. I picked up a Squier Bullet Strat at a pawn shop last year for $75 and found that it had a set of custom shop Texas Specials in it. I upgraded the rest of the electronics, saddles, nut, and tuners and it's a keeper. Plays just as nice as my American strat after the upgrades and set up"

Among plenty of other quotes I am sure.

Getting back to mr. Tyler... you could go buy a $$$ american strat, get the neck handled to your liking, and still come out ahead. Or order from Mr. Benford, who apparently makes excellent guitars, and still save a good thousand or so over what Tyler charges for his. As a bonus, you can communicate directly with the Luthier who makes your instrument, and have total control over what you get.

but sure, go spend your 3-4k on a Tyler. Have fun.

• Members

Really?

From another thread:

"nothing wrong with Squiers. I picked up a Squier Bullet Strat at a pawn shop last year for $75 and found that it had a set of custom shop Texas Specials in it. I upgraded the rest of the electronics, saddles, nut, and tuners and it's a keeper. Plays just as nice as my American strat after the upgrades and set up"

Among plenty of other quotes I am sure.

Getting back to mr. Tyler... you could go buy a $$$ american strat, get the neck handled to your liking, and still come out ahead. Or order from Mr. Benford, who apparently makes excellent guitars, and still save a good thousand or so over what Tyler charges for his. As a bonus, you can communicate directly with the Luthier who makes your instrument, and have total control over what you get.

but sure, go spend your 3-4k on a Tyler. Have fun.

I rather go by personal experience than from what someone on HCEG once said..but hey, that is just me.

• Members

I rather go by personal experience than from what someone on HCEG once said..but hey, that is just me.

I agree. Which is what I did with the Agile. 2 days after I got it I sold my Gibson LP because I knew it would never get played again.

I will say this, it DID hold resale great!

• Members

I agree. Which is what I did with the Agile. 2 days after I got it I sold my Gibson LP because I knew it would never get played again.

There we go..now we have something in common:)

I sold my Les Paul Standard after playing (and buying) a G&L ASAT Deluxe. Like you I made some money off the Les Paul:thu:

• Members

There we go..now we have something in common:)

I sold my Les Paul Standard after playing (and buying) a G&L ASAT Deluxe. Like you I made some money off the Les Paul:thu:

Awesome! So we agree that LPs are a great money-making tool (ok, I didn't MAKE money but I rented the gibson for a year for like 80 bucks).

• Members

crap artist:confused:... every single Carrie Underwood has released has hit #1 on the charts, not to mention that she is a phenominal vocalist... am i a huge fan? no, not really... but to say she has no talent at all is just absurd:facepalm:

• Members

So you say you agree and that you go by personal experience . . . how many Tyler's have you played?

• Members

1. Agile headstock=awesome

2. Agile guitars= awesome and don't look like crap

3. Buying a 3k+ guitar that has a retarded headstock =fail

4. Buying a 1k guitar and paying your local luthier to do whatever necessary to make it just as awesome as you could ever want =full of win, you save tons of money, AND you can take it out in public.

Unless you play country music, in which case the silly looking guitar would just fit right in with all the other silly stuff.

funny, my favorite "country" artists play PRS's, Teles, LP's, and Strats:poke:

• Members

crap artist:confused:... every single Carrie Underwood has released has hit #1 on the charts, not to mention that she is a phenominal vocalist... am i a huge fan? no, not really... but to say she has no talent at all is just absurd:facepalm:

The New Kids on the Block made #1 hits too, is that your criteria? Having a good voice does not make one a good artist. Having #1 hits does not make one a good artist. One simply needs to look at the Billboard charts to know the amount of crap that passes as "music". I never said she had no talent, I said she was a crap artist. Doesn't mean she doesn't have a good voice.

I still stand by it, she's a crap artist. It's pure pablum designed to feed the masses that demand watered down syrup as their musical choice.

• Members

The New Kids on the Block made #1 hits too, is that your criteria? Having a good voice does not make one a good artist. Having #1 hits does not make one a good artist. One simply needs to look at the Billboard charts to know the amount of crap that passes as "music". I never said she had no talent, I said she was a crap artist. Doesn't mean she doesn't have a good voice.

I still stand by it, she's a crap artist. It's pure pablum designed to feed the masses that demand watered down syrup as their musical choice.

oh i agree about the masses... that's why i listen to red dirt country and nashville rap... but, there is obviously a market... that's why she is a member of the opry and a millionaire and why we're here talking about her:cry:

• Members

The dumbing down of America?

There are no evil powers that conspire to hypnotize or threaten, or force anyone into listening to any type of music.

The problem with your ridiculous and lazy extremely overused accusation about people that enjoy popular (radio) music, and that mentality is that it implies that you are one of the select few that are smart enough to listen to "real" music, because you shun, or reject popular music because you percieve it as a threat upon your intelligence, or hipness factor, or who knows what? The fact remains, that there is no great conspiuracy to force people to listen to anything in particular. Yes, the point of people that back artists is to make money, but just because something gets popular, or that it makes you want to puke, doesnt mean that music is any less relevant to the poeple that enjoy it than some of the garbage you listen to. I have no idea about your personal taste in music, but I am positive that , yes, there are plenty of people that would think that at least some of it sounds like garbage. Guess what? They are not wrong, if that is what it sounds like to them, and you are not wrong if Jesus Take the Wheel makes you want to throw up. The difference is, you seem to believe that you are the only one that has the intelligence to actually seek out and listen to music that you enjoy because YOU like it, instead of someone evil conspiracy forcing or tricking you into liking it, IE, radio stations that play the same stuff over and over again. Here is a truth you seem not to be getting, EVERYBODY has the same ability as you to seek out their own music that they enjoy, and just because some people end up liking ALOT of stuff played on any particular kind of radio station, does not make them, wrong, dumb, or less musically hip, or any more dumbed down than you. If people like something, they like it because they like it. Not because someone tells them to, or tricks them into it. JUST LIKE YOU. You are not a revolutionary. It just so happens that people DO actually like alot of stuff on radio, not because they are too dumb, or to lazy to seek out "better, or "real" music, but because they actually enjoy the stuff they hear on the radio, and to them, their tastes in music are just as good, or intelligent, or relevent, as your tastes are. Dont assume that just because someone enjoys music that is likely to be popular on radio, thatr they dont also enjoy all sorts of other stuff and dont actively seek out other types of music, just like you do.

Jesus Take the wheel makes you want to throw up. OK. Good for you. But to the poeple that enjoy that song or any other you may argue against, neither of you is right and neither of you is wrong. Not everybody wants the same thing out of listening to music.

This idea that there are forces out there trying to 'dumb down America through music" is the most ridiculous and silly, and clueless idea you can say. YPeople that use this brainless and very convienient cliche think it makes them sound hip, and with it, and like people that think for themselves, as if other people arent blessed with this "ability" :rolleyes: and so much smarter than all the idiots that fall for the crap, but really, it just makes you sound like the one that is clueless and gullible.

It is all just music. If you write a song, and one person loves it, and another person despises it, niehter one is wrong. It is O.K. for you not to like Jesus Take the Wheel. But it doesnt make you any smarter, or more musically knowlegeable, or any better whatsoever, than someone that does like that song.

"The dumbing down of America". :lol:

That is such a weak and lame and beat into the ground and LAZY cliche used by people that think it makes them sound brilliant, when they use it as a tool to try to convince people why they are so much more artistically superior than anyone that disagrees with them, or enjoys some form of popular art that alot of other people just so happen to enjoy also.

There is no 'Dumbing down of America "conspiracy. :facepalm:

People like what they like simply because they like it. Just like you do.

you dont have a monopoly on intelligence, or taste, or the ability to think for yourself.

• Members

cuz, really ... america can't get any dumber.

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

:)

I will agree that the general population does a good enough job on its own, but I am not neccesarily one of those "MuriKa" bashers, just for the sake of it.

I think that per capita, people are people, and all around the world, the ratio of genius to idiots in any given city, state, or country, is pretty much the same no matter what corner of the globe you are in.

• Members
cuz, really ... america can't get any dumber.

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

'Nuff said.

Now, to the dumbing down point . . . nowhere did I say there was a "conspiracy". The mere fact that people accept much of what makes it to the top 40 as "music" is a symptom of the dumbing down of America, not a cause.

If you don't think America is getting dumber, simply poke around the internet and see how vigorously people defend their lack of simple English skills. When people argue for their right to be idiots rather than attempting to learn, I'd say that's a pretty good sign that the country is getting "dumber".

• Members
This is NOT a troll thread, it is a common argument, and I am just curious to see what the actual ratio of people with taste vs without is...

There will be only two correct answers:

1. Of course it should be removed.

2. I have no taste.

:p

:poke:
:cop::thu:

I vote for #2. You have no taste.

I am really sorry that you have no taste but perhaps if you listen to some country music, you know, the music where you can actually hear the lyrics, you may acquire some taste.:)

• Members

I will agree that the general population does a good enough job on its own, but I am not neccesarily one of those "MuriKa" bashers, just for the sake of it.

I think that per capita, people are people, and all around the world, the ratio of genius to idiots in any given city, state, or country, is pretty much the same no matter what corner of the globe you are in.

I completely agree. sadly, that ratio is very very very scary.

• Members
I vote for #2. You have no taste.

I am really sorry that you have no taste but perhaps if you listen to some country music, you know, the music where you can actually hear the lyrics, you may acquire some taste.

Really? Seriously? I can hear the lyrics, but.. why? The only thing redeeming about this crap is the dancing hot chicks. And really, we don't need country music for that, just strip bars.

• Members

News flash....Most people are dumb. No matter when, no matter where. Modern USA holds no unique position there.

Another...90% of any given genre is junk. The other 10% of ALL genres comprises a genre of its own...that of "good music." The really good stuff is truly rare, whether you're talking music, art, movies, guitars or food.

And that's all I have to say about that.

EG

• Members

I don't care for today's Country music.

I do like artists from the early days on up, such as George Jones, Brooks & Dunn, Randy Travis, Loretta Lynn, etc.

I'm more into "roots" Country, which may not be Country at all, such as Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and so on. Many of the roots type guys and gals had the "Country" label slapped on them because they weren't classified as Rock, so it had to be Country b/c Country was sort of all that was left after Rock...

"Country" is such a broad musical stroke....

• Members

Really? Seriously? I can hear the lyrics, but.. why? The only thing redeeming about this crap is the dancing hot chicks. And really, we don't need country music for that, just strip bars.

Well, like most any music genre, there is the good stuff and the bad stuff. The example you chose is not the worst, but pretty bad. I would not listen to that either. Here's some of the good stuff.

Alison Krauss is more blue grass than country but she crosses back and forth a bit and she is a 1st class artist all the way.

[YOUTUBE]pTnnVk1Gjzs&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QjsjZWlRVvo&feature=PlayList&p=34C797A7AFCECE0E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7E88RUqyjts&feature=fvsr[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BjO1F6oCab8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hvTwFl6OIAk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

"car wheels on a gravel road" might have been the best album of the 90s.

That was a great album, And so few people even know who Lucinda Williams is. The first time I ever heard of her was on a song from the soundtrack to a movie called Niagara Niagara (a small-time Indie film that has never seen DVD release and is likely just going to vanish into obscurity). The song was called "Sharp Cutting Wings (Song to a Poet)" and I LOVED that song.

Archived