Is Country music a vile horrible thing that should be removed from the Earth?

Oaksong

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Country has as high a ration of actual good songs as rock or pop or certainly rap. Or metal and all its incarnations for that matter. Every genre has a few real winners.

As a metal fan, I must disagree. The number of actual good metal songs is super low compared the # that are made. Most metal is noisy garbage. The sad part is that it is still easier to listen to the can o bees + white noise than country.

• Members

and it might get better.

LOG... why doesn't that surprise me:facepalm:... i bet you like 5 finger scrotum puch too don't ya:poke:...

personally, i prefer to be able to understand what the lead singer is saying and i prefer actual guitar tone... not notes per measure, chuga, bee can...

but music is all subjective, that's what's so wonderful about it... just because i love it, it doesn't mean you have to...

• Members

LOG... why doesn't that surprise me:facepalm:... i bet you like 5 finger scrotum puch too don't ya:poke:...

personally, i prefer to be able to understand what the lead singer is saying and i prefer actual guitar tone... not notes per measure, chuga, bee can...

but music is all subjective, that's what's so wonderful about it... just because i love it, it doesn't mean you have to...

LOG you CAN understand the singer. I like the tone. It could be WAY worse:

[Youtube]

• Members

Personally, I think there are some GREAT country musicians out there. Zac Brown Band can kick some major ass live:

kCTNquzL6KQ

I've been digging some of Jams McMurtry's stuff lately too:

kca5E3xk8II

You might be in grad school

Up at M.I.T.

You might be down in the canal zone

Being all that you can be

You might get to thinking you're ahead of the game

But when you break it all down

It all comes out the same

You're painting by numbers

Connecting the dots

You work from the neck down as often as not

• Members

Country music used to be about hell-raising and hard times.

Now it's pure sap, and it's listeners have become partisan "useful idiots" to religious and political forces.

Makes me want to vomit.

For the most part, you're right (there are a few exceptions).

When I hear songs like "Jesus Take the Wheel", the bile starts to rise.

• Members
For the most part, you're right (there are a few exceptions).

When I hear songs like "Jesus Take the Wheel", the bile starts to rise.

Oh no! People singing about what's important to them instead of about getting drunk, high and laid? What ever will we do! That's so horrible!!!!

:facepalm:

• Members

the same guy that said buying a Tyler guitar (based on the headstock of course!) is silly (an Agile owner no less!) - is now passing judgement on an entire genre of music...the OP is an idiot and yes, this is a troll thread.

• Members
Oh no! People singing about what's important to them instead of about getting drunk, high and laid? What ever will we do! That's so horrible!!!!

:facepalm:

Singing about skidding off the road and taking your hands off the wheel with your kid in the backseat and wishing for some supernatural power to save you both is better how?

And where exactly did I advocate songs about getting drunk, high and laid? I don't recall mentioning that anywhere.

So, in your opinion, if someone thinks getting drunk, high, or laid is important to them, that's less valid than surrendering control of your vehicle to some perceived supernatural force and hoping it'll save you and your child?

Sorry, but the song was tripe. I think if I'm ever starting to skid off the road with a kid in the back seat, I'll keep my hands on the wheel and actually put some effort into saving our lives. From a religious perspective? God helps those who help themselves.

Your appreciation for the musical genius of Carrie Underwood is duly noted and disagreed with.

Now, go read the post I replied to, see if it applies to you . . . you know, the part about religious and political forces.

• Members

Singing about skidding off the road and taking your hands off the wheel with your kid in the backseat and wishing for some supernatural power to save you both is better how?

And where exactly did I advocate songs about getting drunk, high and laid? I don't recall mentioning that anywhere.

So, in your opinion, if someone thinks getting drunk, high, or laid is important to them, that's less valid than surrendering control of your vehicle to some perceived supernatural force and hoping it'll save you and your child?

Sorry, but the song was tripe. I think if I'm ever starting to skid off the road with a kid in the back seat, I'll keep my hands on the wheel and actually put some effort into saving our lives. From a religious perspective? God helps those who help themselves.

Your appreciation for the musical
genius
of Carrie Underwood is duly noted and disagreed with.

A) The song's a metaphor.

B) I do not actually like Carrie Underwood's music.

C) I am just pointing out that is retarded to say "Oh, music sucks now cuz it talks about God and stuff." I personally think you should write music about what is important to you. And I was using getting drunk, high and laid as an example of most secular music, especially rap and classic rock.

I listen to a little of everything and am just really sick of people who think that just because something is Christian based, or someone is Christian that they are worse than those that are not.

Not saying I like her music, or that you should just let go of your wheel while driving.

EDIT: And yes, I know what post you were reffering to. And I was not bashing your example. I was bashing the idea that songs are bad just because they have political or religious influences.

• Members

EDIT: And yes, I know what post you were reffering to. And I was not bashing your example. I was bashing the idea that songs are bad just because they have political or religious influences.

Which isn't what I said. You were bashing an idea that I didn't state. I stated that her song was a crappy song that made me want to puke.

Metaphor my ass, it was a prime sample of the dumbing down of America that results in people accepting crap as music.

It's a crap song by a crap artist with crap lyrics and a superbly crappy metaphor if you chose to see it as a metaphor.

If someone wants songs with a Christian message, there are far better examples than that. You want Christian songs with metaphors that are well written, go back to old-time and bluegrass songs such as "Drifting To Far From the Shore" or (more recently) "Sisters and My Brothers".

[YOUTUBE]rcPaZ6XY64Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I thought you were agreeing with the guy that all music with religious/political influences were garbage.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Not all, just most :). Most of them tend to be way to preachy and overbearing in their message and the listening public just seems to eat it up.

It's especially irritating when you have someone like that Underwood chick who tries in one song to preach about Christian values then spends another song talking about taking revenge on a cheating boyfriend by slashing his tires, etc. (a decidedly un-Christian act).

• Members

the same guy that said buying a Tyler guitar (based on the headstock of course!) is silly (an Agile owner no less!) - is now passing judgement on an entire genre of music...the OP is an idiot and yes, this is a troll thread.

1. Agile headstock=awesome

2. Agile guitars= awesome and don't look like crap

3. Buying a 3k+ guitar that has a retarded headstock =fail

4. Buying a 1k guitar and paying your local luthier to do whatever necessary to make it just as awesome as you could ever want =full of win, you save tons of money, AND you can take it out in public.

Unless you play country music, in which case the silly looking guitar would just fit right in with all the other silly stuff.

• Members

1. Agile headstock=awesome

2. Agile guitars= awesome and don't look like crap

3. Buying a 3k+ guitar that has a retarded headstock =fail

4. Buying a 1k guitar and paying your local luthier to do whatever necessary to make it just as awesome as you could ever want =full of win, you save tons of money, AND you can take it out in public.

Unless you play country music, in which case the silly looking guitar would just fit right in with all the other silly stuff.

yeah..sure..whatever you say..you sir are an expert:blah:

Archived