Is Country music a vile horrible thing that should be removed from the Earth?

Oaksong

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I listen to country a bit now and then. But i couldnt tell you any of the chicks names or the names of the songs. They all look the same these days. Blonde,slender,etc..Only one i know by name because i liker her stuff is Gretchen Wilson. I know the big names like Carrie Underwood..But other than that i couldnt name any of the popular country female singers today.

• Members

I know this is a troll thread, but...

I was at the doctor's office today, and every song on the radio was pop-country bull{censored}. I respect country musicians, but this stuff wasn't country. It was some dip{censored} singing (a chorus no less) about his spit cup in his truck, or some guy talking about trying to make it in Nashville ({censored}er, you clearly have, you're on the radio), or Kid Rock redoing his VH1 hit for CMT with longer pauses, more slide, and a different female singer. {censored}, it was atrocious. How can anyone fall for that {censored}?

• Members

assuming all modern country is {censored} like rascal flatts is like assuming all modern rock is {censored} like the jonas brothers.

There's a pretty definitive line between pop-country and alt-country, which is, I assume what you're alluding to. But even a lot of good alt-country I hear, I think to myself - if they didn't have a pedal steel player, they'd be an indie-rock band.

• Members

Country music reminds me too much of white southern racism, lynchings, the Ku Klux Klan, right wing politics, and getting "Dixie Chicked" for me to be completely comfortable with it. That feeling kind of poisons it for me, sorry to say. But I do like Bigsbys, and Paul Bigsby, the inventor of the Bigsby vibrato system, was a country music aficionado, so I can't write it off completely.

• Members

Great country artists include:

Townes Van Zandt
Steve Earle
Mark Knopfler
Chet Atkins
Johnny Cash
Jimmy Webb (see my other thread about his new album)
Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Dolly Parton
Loretta Lynn
Brad Paisley
John Jorgenson
Vince Gill
Red Volkhaert
Jerry Douglas
Emmy Lou Harris
Dwight Yoakam
Buck Owens
Jimmie Rodgers

Keep 'em coming.

It's all just music.

Oh, and by the way, Johnny Cash, among many others on my list, was a committed Christian, so if you think Christians make lousy musicians, you're just an ignorant dick.

• Members
Great country artists include:

Oh, and by the way, Johnny Cash, among many others on my list, was a committed Christian, so if you think Christians make lousy musicians, you're just an ignorant dick.

The only thing redeeming about Johnny Cash is that he wore all black. That way he didn't need new clothes when he died.
:poke::cop:

j/k some of his stuff is ok.

• Members
This is NOT a troll thread, it is a common argument, and I am just curious to see what the actual ratio of people with taste vs without is...

There will be only two correct answers:

1. Of course it should be removed.

2. I have no taste.

:p

:poke:
:cop::thu:

Perhaps your just not a technical enough player to pull it off.

Archived