Dave Grohl's odd career path

ashasha

• Members

Grohl and Kim Thayil used to appear on a local comedy show once in a while called 'Almost Live' and do this headbanging skit which was funny!

I lived in Everwett, Wershington for most of the 90's. I remember that show. Watched it regularly.

• Members

Yeah but that difference is what I was talking about. A drummer who brings tightness to the band makes a world of difference. It's also the fact that we now look back upon Nevermind from the pop perspective it turned out to be. But back then that album was for a brief time, just a punk album on major label.

I just think that if you listen to Nirvana and FF it's not even close. Very different song writing style. I hear none of the "dave Grohl" sound on any nirvana albums from a melodic perspective. Only his drumming...which was a million times better than Chad Channing.

But Dave did write some of Nirvana's music, "Marigold" off the Heart Shaped Box album for instance. He also did guitar work on some recordings.

• Members

But Dave did write some of Nirvana's music, "Marigold" off the Heart Shaped Box album for instance. He also did guitar work on some recordings.

I'm looking at the credits on nevermind and in utero and I only see him getting one partial credit on each album. I don't see the album you are talking about. Is it a B side or something?

OK technically you maybe correct but I think you're pushing it here to try to show his "big influence."

• Members

I'm not sure how much influence he had in Nirvana's music, but I remember reading somewhere how he often felt uneasy about his role in the band, based on 1) Kurt and Krist were really close, so Dave felt like the odd one out, and 2) they'd gone through a bunch of drummers before him, so there was the apprehension that they could go ahead and fire him too.

• Members

cuz they were obviously in on it, right? right? right?

winkwinknudgenudgeknowwhatimeansaynomore!?

yeah no doubt....reaping the royalty rewards afterward...:rolleyes:

The fact that kurt wrote a song called "I hate myself and I want to die"...just showed what a lover of life he was.

• Members

Even without suicide in the picture, it's hard for me to imagine Cobain's life remaining disciplined enough for him to maintain his role as the nucleus for a group for an extended duration. I think Grohl would have been forced to either branch out or remain musicaly stagnate for long periods of time.

If Cobain hadn't committed suicide, I imagine he would have become a crazy recluse like Syd Barrett.

• Members

Lame! Lame! Lame!
:lol:

The Lame List!

Clips from that have not yet made it to YouTube.
:cry:

The Lame List!!!!!! Soooooo funny!:thu:

That show was such a rip. And the host was always cracking on Soundgarden's bassist.

Not music related, but they also had that game show skit "Pike or Pine." Not too many Seattle natives would even win that one. Always cracked me up.

• Members

Not all. Cobain was definitely punk. His hero's were the type of music nobody gave a {censored} about..the wipers DOA and all the rest of the west coast punk scene.

True. He was one of the few non-former-metalheads in the scene BITD.

Soundgarden were kind of but they never admitted it. In fact I have several old VHS tapes with Kim interviews where he goes out of his way to distance the band from what was popular metal at the time. Refusing to have guitar solos told a lot.

True, They didn't want to sound like a hair band. They didn't. But, damn, were they hard core metal before "detuning." Seeing early Soundgarden in a small venue was one of the most intense live music experiences I ever had. Way more metal than punk. Way more.

AIC were a hair metal band in the beginning so that is true.

PJ weren't really metal. Mother Love bone was somewhat more glam, but PJ broke that habit. Vedder was unique.

Vedder was unique. The other guys were into harder stuff than he.

And I don't believe what was on the FF first album was ever even close to being something cobain would put out.

It wasn't. According to Willie and Nate, Grohl was using the studio time working on his own stuff, and when he figured out the sound he wanted, he recruited his band accordingly after Cobain died.

Archived