Martin Electrics

rhythmdoctor

• Members

So I am an acoustic forumite looking here for some knowledge. I also posted this in the acoustic forum but figured I'd spread out my search

So, I just missed out on an ebay auction for a 1961 F-65. And the hollow bodied electrics I know were made by Martin are: F-55/F-65 & the GT-70/GT-75. The 65 & 75 being the high end of their respective models. And since the F models were made first (61-65), followed by the GT models (66-70?), apparently the GT models were enhanced/modified versions of the F model. As far as solid bodies, I'm only aware of the EM-18 which to my understanding was made in the late 70s early 80s.

What I want to know is: Has anyone here played any of these Martin electrics? If so, which has the best tone (looking for warmth and fatness)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've always preferred the sound of a hollow body and used to have a custom shop gibson ES-335 which I loved. However, it could very well be that the EM-18 solid body has a warmer tone. The few reviews I've found say that the GT-75 is known for a trebbly sound - I cannot find any reviews on the F-65. There are a few reviews on the EM-18, all favorable and all claiming great tone.

Anyways, sorry for posting an electric guitar question in the acoustic forum - but we are talking about a Martin. By the way, I am obviously looking to buy a Martin electric but it's hard to find one to play so I am looking for other's experience to base an educated opinion.

Thanks in advance

brent

• Members

I saw one in a small mom & pop music store in Fargo ND. Neck and fretboard looked immaculate. Must have used nitrocellulose because the entire finish was checked and cracked. Guy had a price tag of four grand on it, so I didn't even pick it up. Looked like a bloated, pancaked ES175.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I don't know a thing about the aforementioned guitars. A search of HC's user reviews may offer some clues, though I don't know if the information offered regarding value or model is solid.

Martin GT-75:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Martin/GT-75/10/1

Martin F-55:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Martin/F-55/10/1

• Members

I don't know a thing about the aforementioned guitars. A search of HC's user reviews may offer some clues, though I don't know if the information offered regarding value or model is solid.

Martin GT-75:

Martin F-55:

I appreciate the input. I've seen those reviews and was looking for more - very rare guitars, I guess.

• Members

You won't like it as 335 stand in.. I played a few years ago.. meh.. Decent enough but not close the the standard of excellence Martin demonstrated in their acoustic guitars of the period.. If I could find one cheap, I might bite, otherwise, not interested... there is a reason no one plays them.... The Dearmond pickups are good, but you can find them in MUCH cheaper guitars, like the Fender Coronado or several old Harmony semis like the Rocket, which will have a similar sound to the Martin, as they use the same pickups... Those DeArmonds sound sweet, but squeal uncontrollably at anything approaching rock band volume.. Jazz and standard type stuff will be ok, but if you want to crank a semi with DeArmonds, watch out!!!. Screechy feedback...

bob

• Members

You won't like it as 335 stand in.. I played a few years ago.. meh.. Decent enough but not close the the standard of excellence Martin demonstrated in their acoustic guitars of the period.. If I could find one cheap, I might bite, otherwise, not interested... there is a reason no one plays them.... The Dearmond pickups are good, but you can find them in MUCH cheaper guitars, like the Fender Coronado or several old Harmony semis like the Rocket, which will have a similar sound to the Martin, as they use the same pickups... Those DeArmonds sound sweet, but squeal uncontrollably at anything approaching rock band volume.. Jazz and standard type stuff will be ok, but if you want to crank a semi with DeArmonds, watch out!!!. Screechy feedback...

bob

Thanks for the feedback.

What about if I changed the pickups? I'm not opposed to modifying a vintage git.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I don't know too much about Martin's electric guitars and would also like more info. I'm pretty smitten with all the ones I've seen so far, including the E/EM-18, they have some of the more pleasing distortion that I've heard on an electric guitar in my opinion.

The thing about the F and GT series guitars for me is mostly the look and supposed feel of them, and I love to play jazz and country. I wouldn't shell out too much for them either for the reason SPONGEBOB mentioned, if I had the money I would just go for a vintage Gretsch because you get that great clean sound as well as a great distortion.

The E series is a different story though, I don't know too much about them but they seem like very good guitars, and they look awesome. Plus they are more affordable if you can find them.

Archived