how do you make pentatonics fit

Still.ill

• Members

so apart from just blues stuff...

how do you ensure the chords you are using for the solo part of the song fits with general pentatonic wankery?

one thing i noticed is when the solo gets to the fast part ----- the general chord progression becomes more "rock"

don't know how to explain it

• Members

The solo should be played in the key that the chords are in, not the other way around.

yeah but lets say you are writing a song, and minor pentatonic doensn't really work over the main progression, so you change the progression to make minor pentatonic fit only for the solo section... how do you do this

• Members

If the main progression is mostly major, and you want to do minor blues for the solos, use minor chords during the solo- like the vi, which uses the same notes as the major I. I think for major key songs you have I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and vii to work with.

• Members

You could do a two chord vamp for the solo - Am D9 for example.

Simple but effective. It could sound a bit cliche or boring - but it's a place to start.

:thu:

thanks this is what exactly i was asking for...

i've also noticed what will usually happen (in my favorite songs) that the band will switch to a simpler chord progression that happens to use a lot of I, bIII, IV, and bVII.... so in the key of E that would be E, G, A, D

• Members

yeah but lets say you are writing a song, and minor pentatonic doensn't really work over the main progression, so you change the progression to make minor pentatonic fit only for the solo section... how do you do this

Move your hand 3 frets down and play it in major penatonic.

[YOUTUBE]YILb7DPUFZM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow, I guess some people just over think this stuff. I always used something called feel and finding what sounds right in my songs.

But it "sounds right" for a reason and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to figure out why. Feel and knowledge aren't mutually exclusive either.

• Members

But it "sounds right" for a reason and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to figure out why. Feel and knowledge aren't mutually exclusive either.

Well yes. Why reinvent the wheel everytime you write a piece of music.

Also you can play with and understand other musicians.

• Members

not to highjack, this is semi related, but can someone help me out here?

i know my pentatonic scale very well, and how the major fits within it

but i can't RAGE a solo. I am decent with my melodies and phrasing, but I'm unsure of how to just light myself on fire and go for it.

I'm talking techniques like, "play in one area then jump up an octave" for example. ( i know that wasn't a good example but you get the point )

• Members

not to highjack, this is semi related, but can someone help me out here?

i know my pentatonic scale very well, and how the major fits within it

but i can't RAGE a solo. I am decent with my melodies and phrasing, but I'm unsure of how to just light myself on fire and go for it.

I'm talking techniques like, "play in one area then jump up an octave" for example. ( i know that wasn't a good example but you get the point )

You sound more advanced than me but IMO you just have to learn small stuff that works and keep puting them together and adding more.

• Members

Wow, I guess some people just over think this stuff. I always used something called feel and finding what sounds right in my songs.

I'm in the same boat, I get the concept of musical theory, but I don't know {censored} about it. :lol:

I have been wanting to get my theory down for so long, but everything else that I do in life is so damn technical and sterile and I have to understand it to the most minute detail and somehow I think that if I did that with music it would lose some of the magic and mystery.

I suppose I could have learned how to play a lot better and a lot faster, but at this point I can pretty much just jump in on a song and within a few seconds I know what I want to do for the most part. I think that if I knew a lot of theory and exactly what scales were supposed to fit that my playing would be a lot less emotive and become contrived. I'm afraid of trying to shoehorn something into a song because I think that it's supposed to fit in there.

And that's pretty much all of my good excuses for being a dumbass about music theory.

• Members

ashasha: a good quote

"it takes three years to learn all the scales and the rest of your life to forget them"

basically it's worth ingraining them into your mind, but then you should be able to let go but still know your way around the key youre in

• Members

This, but you will be missing a couple of notes for the major scale (the 4th and seventh?) but it works OK and gets you into another dimension.

Slide down another two frets and you are in the Dorian mode. That's where it starts to get interesting.

More info can be found by Googling the CAGED Guitar System.

Surfy

I have a bunch of lessons on this stuff on my site...I'm not supposed to post links to my site here on HC but here is the video portion of one of the lessons...you can find the link to the written portion in the video notes if you want it.

EDbgRDz20YQ

This is a lesson on using the different scales to match the chords in a blues progression but it could help get you rolling with other styles as well.

Archived