Are electric guitars any cheaper in Mexico?

SpeedRacer422

• Members

A good friend of mine is traveling to Monterrey Mexico in a few weeks for a wedding. She is originally from there.

She asked me if there was anything I wanted her to bring me back. I don't drink and really couldn't think of anything I'd want, but then I thought:

"Fender makes strats down there...I wonder if they are cheaper"?:idea:

So, I tried googling every phrase I could about buying guitars in Mexico, but I couldn't find anything about anyone ever buying an electric guitar in Mexico, let alone what they paid :/

She is going to check w/ her one uncle who plays and try to get some prices for me, but in the meantime, Surely someone on this board has at least checked out some prices in music stores in Mexico and can give me a little info.:)

I was thinking that if I could get a MIM strat for ~$200, I'd be happy, lol.

Hell, I don't even want a strat, but It'd be cool if it was dirt cheap.

Speed

• Members

Electric guitars in Mexico, are generally more expensive... even the MIM Fenders.

The Fender plant in Baja works with temporary importation and all products are shipped back to the USA, without any being sold in Mexico. If you buy a MIM Fender in Mexico, it has been shipped in from the States.

Hope that makes sense.

You'll find much better prices in the USA, especially with used instruments. I live in Mexico BTW

• Members

You can get many prescription drugs without a prescription and at about 1/10 the cost. If you are on any sort of maintenance drugs, and are paying for them yourself, you might get her to pick you up a supply.

One one of my trips to Mexico, a traveling companion bought $900 worth of some sort of fertility medication that would have cost nearly $20K in the states.

• Members

You can get many prescription drugs without a prescription and at about 1/10 the cost. If you are on any sort of maintenance drugs, and are paying for them yourself, you might get her to pick you up a supply.

One one of my trips to Mexico, a traveling companion bought $900 worth of some sort of fertility medication that would have cost nearly $20K in the states.

Thanks,

I am aware of the Pharmacias, lol.

Fortunately the only medication I take is some pre-emptive alieve before I go backpacking, lol.:)

Speed

• Members

I'm also in mexico (chihuahua).

Guitar gear is a lot more expensive than in the US and there is a very very tiny selection of it, usually low to mid level stuff, higher end models or brands have to be special ordered.

Usually shops sell new instruments at MSRP plus import expenses, and sometimes a little more extra on the top for good measure.

used instruments are usually sold at MSRP prices unless they are beat to {censored}.

But then again if you come from the US and get paid in dollars, You have a much higher aquisition value for your every dollar than we do for our equivalent in pesos.

Somehow this started to sound like a rant.

• Members

That sound like a plan that NOTHING could go wrong with... :rolleyes:

• Members

Electric guitars in Mexico, are generally more expensive... even the MIM Fenders.

The Fender plant in Baja works with temporary importation and all products are shipped back to the USA, without any being sold in Mexico. If you buy a MIM Fender in Mexico, it has been shipped in from the States.

Hope that makes sense.

You'll find much better prices in the USA, especially with used instruments. I live in Mexico BTW

This

but you could ask him to find you an acoustic from horocho, some of the best acoustics on the planet btw.

• Members

This

but you could ask him to find you an acoustic from horocho, some of the best acoustics on the planet btw.

Very true. Actually it's a great trip. You can still find tiny family factories on some of the back streets. It's raining and gets pretty cold in the afternoon and it's a beautiful place to visit in that weather... especially if you carry a bottle of Mescal in your backpack while you walk around.

Keep away from the main street and stores and you'll be sure to find treasure. The place is called Paracho. It's in the state of Michuacan and about a three to four hour drive from Mexico City.

... or you may just wait until all the drug dealers finish killing themselves off before you come visit us.

Archived