Carvin guitar questions.

fuzzylogic220

• Members

The carvin site is down right now so i thought i would ask here.

How would you rate the carvin guitars as shreeder guitars?

like for example how thin are their necks, upper fret access.....neck heal......etc.

the only shreeder guitar i have experience with is ibanez.....and i think for that purpose they are great. but im just trying to consider my options as far as something a little more grown up taste but still wont break the bank.

also which models would you choose out of carvins line up for a shred guitar.

must have 24 frets and a floyd .

thanks

• Members

I live a few minutes away from the Carvin factory, I've owned several Carvin's, and played hundreds over the 15 years I've lived nearby.

Almost everyone who plays one, comments on their fast necks, great upper fret access, and easy playability. Almost every model is designed with fast playing in mind. There are fret options, I'd suggest the stainless steel! The necks are not quite as thin as Ibanez often makes, but they're very comfortable to me.

There are many options you can select from: woods, finishes, electronics, bridges... and they've been offering Floyd's for a long time. You can order them with a cavity that provides up as well as down bending.

Their strat styled guitars range from bolt necks to neck through models. The neck through ones have amazingly easy high fret access. I also like the singlecut model with a floyd... shredderific!

You get a 10 day money back inspection period when you order one... so you'll have a short honeymoon period to decide if it's for you.

M

• Members

I played my first carvin custom shop the other day and i have to say I was impressed. I'm actually pretty close to buying it....but we'll see.

The neck was very nice. I wouldn't say it was thin but it wasn't a fat LP or tele neck either. I would say a very nice C shape feel. Back felt quite rounded in a medium kind of way. Fret board was ebony and was great. I'm not a 'shred' expert and I don't really believe in "fast" necks. I think it's about comfort. Speed can be done on anything so long as you find it comfortable.

The one I played was a DC135C with a floyd. Alder body with a Koa top. Neck through with great upper fret access. Looked great but a bit too much gloss poly for my liking. It was pretty resonant though. Not the best, but very very good. Enough to make me consider putting up with the poly and neck through...which personally I think makes guitars less resonant.

Pickups sounded really good which surprised me a bit because of the reputation for crappy pickups I've read about. I don't believe that any more.

So overall I was very impressed with my first carvin experience. The fact the store has it reduced is really tempting me as I've been looking for a floyd guitar for a while.

• Members

The only ones I've owned were DCs. They're on the smaller side, but not as thin as an Ibanez. I was seriously underwhelmed with my Carvins.

Take a look at Schecter. I have a Blackjack ATX FR and a C-1 Custom FR. Both excellent 24 fret, OFR equipped guitars.

• Members

The only ones I've owned were DCs. They're on the smaller side, but not as thin as an Ibanez.
I was seriously underwhelmed with my Carvins.

Take a look at Schecter. I have a Blackjack ATX FR and a C-1 Custom FR. Both excellent 24 fret, OFR equipped guitars.

How were the guitars physically? Electronic problems aside, I mean..

For me, ain't nothing better than a Carvin..

• Members

I have a Carvin DC135T and an Ibanez Radius 550RJR. The Ibanez definitely has a thinner neck, but the Carvin is pretty thin, too. The Carvin neck is similar to my LP Standard with a 60s slim neck.

My Carvin is a neck-through, so there's no neck heel, and the 24th fret is as accessible as the first. The neck is just as fast as the Ibanez's.

• Members

I would recommend a DC400 with a flatter radius and the Floyd. Make sure you order the locking nut option as well. Some people hate the active electronics. I had a DC400 for a while and actually really enjoyed them, but to each their own!

Archived