Jack White appreciation thread

clay sails

• Members

I think a lot of the haters don't like him because JW just shows absolutely no interest in being "accepted" by "guitarists". I think that pisses a lot of the "forum debate" types, off. They can't stand the fact (subconsciously) that JW only cares about the creative aspect of the art. And the guitar just happens to be a vehicle to that end. They can't stand the fact that JW just doesn't seem to give a {censored} about them or the guitar as a device in and of itself.

And that is exactly what makes him a great guitarist. He's one of the first of what I'm going to call the "post technique" guitarists. (Although much of "seattle" could also qualify for that). What I mean by that is there are so many great "guitarists" around these days with monster chops in whatever field. Chops are a dime a dozen these days. JW represents the future of guitar not the past. Much like the Edge as well. Because all the technique barriers are pretty much broken..it's now going to be about what kind of sonic colours you can come up with.

And he comes up with the rainbow..while most guys these days are playing amazingly technical black and white.

I think that is very well put and I couldnt agree more! Bravo!

• Members

I still don't "get" Jack White but I don't hate him, I just don't get him. It turns out that I like music more than I like "sonic colors." Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, I like black and white photography better that I like color photography.

• Members

A true artist and one of my favorite guitar players. His whole "minimalist" approch to guitar gear and songwriting has had a big influence on me. I really dig his style and am a fan of all his projects. My wife is a big fan as well. She really appreciates and relates to how he takes old, {censored}ty guitars and makes great music out of them.

Archived