Jack White appreciation thread

clay sails

• Members

Just finished "This Might Get Loud" and here is my conclusion:

I don't like everything the White Stripes does, but Jack White is pretty damn awesome. He's not the flash-in-the-pan I thought he would prove to be. His work ethic is strong and he seems to have maniacal passion.

• Moderators

Just finished "This Might Get Loud" and here is my conclusion:

I don't like everything the White Stripes does, but Jack White is pretty damn awesome. He's not the flash-in-the-pan I thought he would prove to be. His work ethic is strong and he seems to have maniacal passion.

If he'd been around in the 60s/70s he'd be a God now, as it is he's legendary in my book

• Members

Great guitarist, creative writer, charismatic frontperson, and to top it off, monster drummer. So far, I dig every band he's a part of, if not every song he's written. IMO, he'll be known as one of our generation's great artists.

• Members
If he'd been around in the 60s/70s he'd be a God now, as it is he's legendary in my book

I think this contains an interesting thought - that current artists and their "pretensions" are today judged less generously than their peers of Rock's golden era. I think that's very true. Nice distillation, RC!:thu:

Jack White is more than alright in my book. I love what he's done, and he's a fantastic performer.:eek::thu:

I also very much enjoyed It Might Get Loud.

• Members
Hes OK....I thought he was kind of anoying in 'It might get loud' and it seemed like Page got along with Teh Edge better, maybe because they're both British I dunno..."There's probably gonna be a fistfight" was a pretty funny line

Page = British
Edge = Irish

Traditionally not the friendliest of nations. U2 kind of has a thing against irish being mistreated by the english.

With that said, the edge seemed too timid in that movie . JW was much more comfortable being around / playing with page. I bet the edge could out tap dance them on a pedalboard though!:facepalm:

• Members

Elephant is a GREAT album by a Great musician. Just like Nevermind the songs are front and center and guitar playing supports and fits the songs. There is never a time when I feel like some hard hitting SRV/Yngwie style guitar hero stuff would improve the material. These guys know what NOT to do.

• Members

I think a lot of the haters don't like him because JW just shows absolutely no interest in being "accepted" by "guitarists". I think that pisses a lot of the "forum debate" types, off. They can't stand the fact (subconsciously) that JW only cares about the creative aspect of the art. And the guitar just happens to be a vehicle to that end. They can't stand the fact that JW just doesn't seem to give a {censored} about them or the guitar as a device in and of itself.

And that is exactly what makes him a great guitarist. He's one of the first of what I'm going to call the "post technique" guitarists. (Although much of "seattle" could also qualify for that). What I mean by that is there are so many great "guitarists" around these days with monster chops in whatever field. Chops are a dime a dozen these days. JW represents the future of guitar not the past. Much like the Edge as well. Because all the technique barriers are pretty much broken..it's now going to be about what kind of sonic colours you can come up with.

And he comes up with the rainbow..while most guys these days are playing amazingly technical black and white.

[YOUTUBE]icrNkmf9uyQ[/YOUTUBE]

Archived