Guitar Shops in Dallas/Fort Worth...

jimtalkbox

• Members

A friend of mine and I are heading to DFW for a "Guitar Weekend". Our main stops are going to be Craig's Music (in Weatherford) and the Ft. Worth Guitar Show. (A smaller show, but I've had luck finding stuff there before.) I've also found Charley's Guitar Shop (Dallas) and Dave Anderson's Zoo Music (Dallas) but don't know much about them. We're primarily looking for anything with a decent selection that's NOT Guitar Center. Hopefully some vintage stuff, maybe some boutique stuff. (Primarily amps and effects). Any suggestions?

• Members

There are three zoo music's in the DFW area....I've never been to the Ft Worth location.

The one in Dallas has a really old/dingy/musty feel to it. Little in the way of new gear but they've got an assload of used/vintage stuff....most of which have ancient rusty strings on them. It's as if they got them in and never touched them other than to put them on the floor. They are very tightly packed onto stands making it nearly impossible to pull on out to look at it. Most all are quite a good deal overpriced....never found a deal there. They do have some very nice stuff in there...all hanging on the walls out of reach.

The Garland location is quite a good deal nicer. Much cleaner and much better organized. The used selection is of more recent vintage, but they do have some really nice old Fenders and some other good stuff. They have a pretty good selection of new equipment...much better than the Dallas location.

If you pay in cash at either they will generally give you a break on tax...

• Members

You've already got an idea of the best (in Dallas anyway). Charlie's doesn't carry much inventory and most of the stuff is high dollar boutique. For used gear Zoo has the largest collection hands down. Looking for odd ball stuff, you might have a better chance of randomly hitting every pawn shop you come across.

Their website is down, but Murphy's Music in Irving is a great GC alternative. However, for the music scene and legacy of the DFW area there are shamefully few very good guitar stores.

• Members

Their website is down, but Murphy's Music in Irving is a great GC alternative. However, for the music scene and legacy of the DFW area there are shamefully few very good guitar stores.

+1, I will add that the Central Dallas Guitar Center generally has had a pretty cool used stompbox collection most every time I would visit. Suprisingly, the Arlington one will also have unique used gear from time to time.

• Members

There are three zoo music's in the DFW area....I've never been to the Ft Worth location.

The one in Dallas has a really old/dingy/musty feel to it. Little in the way of new gear but they've got an assload of used/vintage stuff....most of which have ancient rusty strings on them. It's as if they got them in and never touched them other than to put them on the floor. They are very tightly packed onto stands making it nearly impossible to pull on out to look at it. Most all are quite a good deal overpriced....never found a deal there. They do have some very nice stuff in there...all hanging on the walls out of reach.

The Garland location is quite a good deal nicer. Much cleaner and much better organized. The used selection is of more recent vintage, but they do have some really nice old Fenders and some other good stuff. They have a pretty good selection of new equipment...much better than the Dallas location.

If you pay in cash at either they will generally give you a break on tax...

I actually HAVE gone to the one in Ft. Worth. It was a decent store and had a big pile of silverface Fender amps. (although I remember thinking at the time that they were overpriced.)

Archived